Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Associate Scientist, Sample Storage Center Manager
Requisition ID: 4430180621
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is hiring an Senior Associate Scientist located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Biotech, Inc. delivers on the promise of new treatments and ways to improve the health of individuals with serious disease. Built upon a legacy of innovative firsts, Janssen Biotech pursues advancing patient care with immunology and oncology solutions. Please visit www.JanssenBiotech.com for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
This is a technical management position within the Biologics Development Sciences (BDS) Bioanalysis and Late Development Outsourcing (BaLDO) group. The Sample Storage Center (SSC) manager will supervise the SSC function, along with contract staff. The Senior Associate Scientist will work under minimal supervision, in collaboration with others, to ensure proper receipt, handling, tracking, transfer of frozen biological specimens in support of the non-clinical and clinical studies to the laboratory staff, archiving of the specimens for long-term storage at the Malvern site, and their final destruction. As a Senior Associate Scientist responsibilities include:
- Management of the Sample Storage Center assets (freezers at the Spring House and Malvern sites) and of the freezer inventory system
- Prioritize and delegate duties of orders / worklists to be processed and delivered to the appropriate client (Biologics Development Sciences, Biomarkers department, and any other internal or external laboratory)
- Coordinate the destruction of biological specimens from the end-of-retention timelines or from various ad-hoc reasons
- Function as a liaison between various clients and the Sample Storage Center.
- Ensure compliance with Janssen SOPs, GLP and DOT/IATA guidelines for handling dangerous goods and documentation procedures
- Coordinate receiving and shipping schedules with investigator sites and global central laboratories
- Using a laboratory information management system (LIMS), assist with the receipt and inventory of frozen laboratory samples sent from central laboratory or contract laboratory into freezers
- Use ClinPharm LIMS, hand-held barcode scanners, label printers and database applications to complete processing of samples
- Using a LIMS, provide samples to scientists for analysis to help ensure that the study timelines are met
- Be willing and have the ability to assist others in training in the SSC functions
- Assume ownership of a function within the SSC such as sample archival or destruction
- Function as a liaison between Manager, SSC staff and clients, ensuring open communication regarding samples, timelines and workflow
- Communicate issues/problems with shipments to Management or the Manager of Lab Systems and Trial Support and assists in resolution of issues
- Must be focused and have the ability to multi-task
- Daily tasks include completing paperwork included with a shipment, scanning received samples into inventory, checking the samples out of the freezers and organizing them for the scientist completing the analysis, resolving issues with received shipments or samples requested for analysis
- Change and/or review freezer temperature logs or other system each week
- Assist in archival and destruction of Samples
- May present own work to external groups (e.g. CDTs, JBio)
- Apply understanding of methods at a functional level (e.g. for troubleshooting or development).
- Attend in-house seminars to support team goals
- B.S./B.A. with 9 years of relevant experience OR M.S. with 6 years of relevant experience is required
- Prior laboratory experience either in industry, academia or medical environment is required
- Ability to understand and follow GLP procedures and SOPs as they apply to the handling of frozen biological specimen samples is required
- Experience in leading or managing a team is required
- Using a Laboratory Information System is required
- Working in an electronic laboratory notebook is required
- Knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) is required
- Experience with MesoScale Discovery assay and/or Hamilton Liquid Automation platforms is preferred
- Knowledge of DOT/IATA shipping requirements for laboratory samples is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to be on-call to handle work issues during non-work hours (approximately once per month) is required
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)