Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, Janssen Business Development, Diagnostics and Enabling Technologies
South San Francisco, California
Requisition ID: 4423190911
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies is recruiting for a Director, Janssen Business Development, Diagnostics and Enabling Technologies to be located in San Francisco, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science. We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal.
The Director, Janssen Business Development, Diagnostics and Enabling Technologies will be responsible for supporting or leading acquisition, alliance management and diligence/transactions relating to diagnostic, digital diagnostics and technologies that enable digital solutions.
In this role, the Director will work closely with key leaders across various organizations within J&J including, but not limited to, Janssen R&D, Janssen R&D Strategy, Janssen Discovery Sciences, R&D Therapeutic Areas, Health Technology and the J&J Innovation Centers. In addition, the Director will work closing with the business development, finance and legal functions to shape the business development strategy in these areas. Together, the team will create competitive advantage by advancing internal R&D capabilities, increasing disease insights and driving operational efficiency that can be applied in R&D. The Director’s work will help connect biology to medicines by accessing large and increasingly available data sets and then applying the insights from these data sets in Janssen’s scientific efforts.
The Director will also support companion diagnostic and digital diagnostic business development activities. The Director will monitor the digital landscape for new deals between Pharma/Biotech and enabling technology companies, assess competitive developments at technology companies, and explore potential models to enhance technology access with the aim of turning these enabling technologies into actionable insights across R&D and other functions.
This position will have global leadership responsibilities and will report into the VP of Janssen Business Development, Diagnostics and Enabling Technology.
Lead and/or support diligence/negotiations/execution of Enabling Technologies transactions; Make recommendations on deal structures such as licensing, acquisitions, equity investments, option deals, fee for service arrangements, and other partnership models
Identify emergent data sources of interest to Janssen. Identify trends and opportunities for future use and analytics needed to accelerate pipeline growth and improve regulatory acceptance, market access, and Real-World Evidence efforts. Shape the overall strategic vision for these initiatives in collaboration with R&D. Build internal networks and align with research leadership and key stakeholders on the strategic direction for transactions
Aid in the establishment of a “one team” culture across JJI and Janssen R&D and leverage diversity of capabilities. Demonstrate strong leadership by working through the matrix to deliver on the Strategy and Operations team priorities as well as managing cross-functional teams’ inputs and visions for deals and alliances.
Coordinate technical aspects of deals through due diligence activities and negotiations while managing all alliances. Make timely decisions by systematically identifying and analyzing opportunities and risks for such opportunities. Own execution before and after a deal and ensure optimal post-deal integration of all licensing, partnerships, and acquisition projects.
Establish industry network to the benefit of J&J. Assimilate and synthesize emerging trends in enabling technologies by attending relevant meetings and conferences.
Support and/or lead companion and digital diagnostics transactions and manage diagnostic alliances in concert with other members of JBD Diagnostic team.
- Foster team cohesiveness and chart new territory in a strategically important new space for Janssen. Motivate, inspire and influence others across the organization and enterprise to achieve results and adopt new operational models.
- Build collaborative matrix teams and set strategy across Enabling Technology and other areas of focus.
- Interact regularly with Janssen R&D Senior Leadership team members and other Janssen and J&J senior leaders to ensure that the organizational strategy is expertly executed. On occasion, interact with members of the Janssen GOC and J&J Senior Executives on strategic initiatives and deal reviews.
- Understand the strategic needs of R&D teams and create a vision for deals to match these needs
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; Advanced degree (i.e., bachelor’s degree with MBA or other type of master’s degree is desired).
- 10+ years of experience, managing and leading cross-functional teams. Deep experience leading projects or partnerships with R&D with a clear track record of success.
- Previous experience with enabling technologies/tech companies is preferred
- Previous Business Development deal experience is preferred
- Proven leadership and management of large, complex projects. Ability to thrive in matrix organization to drive projects to conclusion.
- Able to handle complex tasks independently yet knows when to seek guidance.
- Strong analytical skills with a solution-oriented mindset required.
- Experience in tech consulting is a plus
- Track record of successfully handling multiple priorities and working independently.
- Strong leadership capability and ability to Connect, Shape, Lead & Deliver in a credo-based, ethical manner is required.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Position requires domestic and international travel as needed.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Global Services, LLC (6085)