Johnson & Johnson Careers
Immunology Data Science - Translational Team Lead
Requisition ID: 4364190513
Janssen Research & Development is hiring for an Immunology Data Science - Translational Team Lead (Associate Director Level) in Spring House, PA.
Janssen Research & Development is a world-class biotech and pharmaceutical organization committed to research and development of innovative therapies for diseases of great need. Janssen Immunology Research & Development focuses on improving the health and lifestyles of people with serious immunological and inflammatory conditions worldwide, and today has a leading portfolio of medicines to treat psoriasis, Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, atopic dermatitis and ulcerative colitis.
Janssen Immunology recognizes data science plays an increasingly important role in drug discovery and development, from target validation to improved patient selection and robust, predictive molecular, imaging and digital end points. As such, Janssen Immunology is committed to building out a foundational new data science capability, harnessing novel developments in analytical technologies and processes, to power our portfolio and pipeline and enhance our ability to survey the external landscape for productive partnerships.
The successful candidate will have a key role in shaping and executing the Janssen Immunology data science strategy. The successful candidate will drive the development and meaningful use of data science in areas related the study of biology and disease including disease phenotyping, clinical trial design, patient stratification and target identification. Success in these areas will require partnership with internal and external stakeholders to integrate data science approaches seamlessly into the drug development process while also championing new ways of defining disease and approaching asset decision-making.
The candidate will also play a key role in driving a “data aware” mindset within the Immunology organization. To this end, clear articulation of the nature and value of novel digital assets is critical as well as a commitment to organizational education on data science approaches. The candidate will be expected to guide the leadership team on areas of high strategic impact and evolving understanding of the data science value proposition.
The Translational Team Lead will direct a team of ‘bilingual’ biology and data savvy scientists to implement appropriate data science approaches and oversee the democratization of those approaches to the rest of the immunology team. To this end, the candidate will be expected to attract, train and develop a diverse group of data scientists to enable end-to-end accomplishment of these goals. The successful candidate will also be expected to harmonize their group activities with other Janssen data science efforts while also championing specific goals relevant to the immunology TA strategy. Perhaps most importantly, the candidate will work to inspire a culture of open and simple communication to enable extensive partnership with the Immunology team and a growing sophistication with which they incorporate data science into their day-to-day activities.
- Define and execute an Immunology translational data science strategy to support portfolio decision-making, clinical trial design and target identification
- Drive digital approaches to indication exploration including causal biology prediction and fit-to-purpose data mining (e.g., scientific literature, internal ‘omics data)
- Identify key external data sources that support immunology strategic needs and enable their internal use and interpretation with appropriate digital pipelines
- Oversee internal implementation and democratization of mature digital assets capable of driving value across the Immunology portfolio
- Implement real-time and novel data generation in clinical trials to enable innovative trial designs
- Educate all levels of the TA on mission critical data science approaches and advances to drive integration of data science into TA thinking
- Build strong relationships with KOLs and external innovators to harmonize internal efforts with external collaborations and monitor external activities
- A minimum of a PhD degree and 10+ years' experience in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational biology and/ or Information Technology, Computer Science
- Extensive experience gaining biological insights using data science and high-dimensional biological data
- Experience managing a team of data scientists working on biological problems
- Experiencing using coding languages such as Python or R, to analyze biological data
- Expertise in methods that enable functional interpretation of biological data including co-expression, causal inference, pathway enrichment, etc.
- Experience applying machine learning/deep learning techniques to biological questions
- Experience in wet lab techniques and the generation of biological data is preferred
- Excellent critical thinking and communication skills with a particular focus on articulating computational concepts in a simple manner
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)
Digital Product Development