Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Boston Innovation Center - Immunology
Requisition ID: 4269190906
Caring for the world, one person at a time, inspires and unites Johnson & Johnson. J&J embraces research and science – bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance health and well-being. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. J&J has more than 250 companies located in 60 countries around the world.
Having made significant contributions to healthcare for more than a century, the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies are in the business of reaching more patients and restoring more lives. The group represents the most comprehensive surgical technology and specialty solutions business in the world, offering an unparalleled breadth of products, services, programs and research and development capabilities directed at advancing patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in immunology, oncology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit https://www.janssen.com for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The company is seeking to appoint an expert who will boost Janssen’s network across the Immunology space and garner more momentum in/around auto-immune disease areas such as Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Psoriasis, Atopic Dermatitis, IBD (Crohn’s Disease/Ulcerative Colitis), and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
The successful candidate will contribute to the creation and implementation of the external innovation plan to deliver the Immunology Therapeutic Area (TA) strategy. The candidate will demonstrate superior scientific credibility, influencing skills and organizational savviness that will solidify Janssen's place as the partner of choice in a highly competitive landscape of external collaborations and partnerships. He or she will apply the highest level scientific expertise and insights to identify the best opportunities for value-generating collaborations, develop an industry-leading portfolio of investment opportunities, and cultivate a strong scientific reputation and a network of experts in the Boston, MA innovation community.
This executive will lead collaborations for asset development with Pharma, Biotech and academic partners and will maintain close connections to the Immunology TA Discovery and Research functions, leveraging internal capabilities as required to advance partnered programs through the pipeline. She/he will collaborate with other Immunology TA Scientific Innovation Leaders, and share experience on an as needed basis to achieve highest level of expertise, mature judgment and experience.
Additionally, this role will interact with colleagues and leaders across functional areas, which may include members of the Janssen R&D Senior Leadership Team and Group Operating Committee, as appropriate, including the Head of Pharma R&D.
Where appropriate, the executive will work to ensure that external partnerships maximally optimize opportunities across and with other Janssen therapeutic areas.
This position is supported by the Head of the Boston Innovation Center, and projects will be progressed in partnership between the IMM TA and the Boston Innovation Center. Transaction, Legal and Finance support will be provided by the Boston Innovation Center. The executive will work with the Immunology New Ventures and Transactions Lead in the Boston Innovation Center to source and evaluate new partnership opportunities. They will also support due diligence and evaluation for immunology investment decisions being made by JJDC, the corporate venture arm of J&J.
The successful candidate will act as a company spokesperson, representing Janssen in major innovation cities and satellites in the world. As a member of the scientific community, this leader will also facilitate connections between internal and external scientists and build collaborative and interactive relationships with universities, academic medical centers, small biotech companies (pre-POC) and venture capital.
YEAR 1 CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
This is a key role in the company and the first-year accomplishments are suitably demanding and will include:
• Develop a network and ensure that the Innovation Center concept and activities are recognized by the venture capital, biotech and academic community in the region.
• Identify, evaluate, champion and deliver at least one novel asset into the company, in line with Disease Area Stronghold (DAS) strategy and in partnership with DAS leaders.
• Work with key investigators to ensure the creation of win-win relationships.
• Build mutually respectful relationships with internal stakeholders and use their expertise when needed for the evaluation of opportunities.
• Contribute effectively and become an established member of the team of the Boston Innovation Center and the IC globally, working closely with the California IC leader to ensure coordination of activities and resources
• Learn how the Johnson & Johnson and Janssen organizations operate and ensure strong representation in the region.
A PhD, MD or MD/PhD coupled with 12 years of industry/academia/biotech experience is desired.
EXPERIENCE AND KEY COMPETENCIES:
This is a role where the appointed candidate will be able to bring together and use a broad array of skills and experiences. The executive will be afforded freedom to develop innovative and creative solutions, to establish a personal network of key contacts, develop what may be novel solutions to negotiate partnerships, and forge other business development deals.
Therefore, the ideal candidate will possess:
• A minimum of 12 years’ experience gained in the pharmaceutical industry/ biotech/academia. A combination of successfully working in two of these sectors would be ideal.
• A record of accomplishment in drug discovery in a field relevant to autoimmune disease with a good understanding of trends in technologies and the latest scientific thinking.
• A comprehensive network of key academics and biotech executives in immunology research.
• A thorough understanding and experience of the drug development process.
• Outstanding conversational, presentation, negotiation and written communication skills with some working experience in an international environment.
• Demonstrated experience of working to create collaborations and partnerships, from either an operating standpoint or to create a deal agreement between two entities.
• Experience at a senior leadership level, with not only scientific credibility, but also business acumen and gravitas to be successful in a role where he/she will be afforded considerable autonomy to operate.
• A sense of organizational savviness -- knowing how to navigate a large organization to produce results, while also being a hands-on self-starter who can work in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Excellent analytical and organizational skills to manage multiple projects and relationships at all stages of development.
• Self-motivation and passion about driving deals to a successful conclusion and delivering quality results.
• The style of a consummate team player with the ability to collaborate effectively across all levels of the organization.
• The ability to be a creative problem solver, with the flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)