Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director of R&D Data Science Strategy and Innovation
Requisition ID: 4167190115
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. is a division of Johnson & Johnson and is currently recruiting for a Senior Director, R&D Data Science Strategy & Innovation. The primary location for this position is Spring House, PA. Consideration will be given to other locations (e.g., Raritan, NJ, La Jolla / San Francisco, CA, Boston, MA, and Beerse, Belgium).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found. Janssen R&D (JRD) is an organization of 11,000+ people with an operating budget of $7B, which includes both Therapeutic Areas such as Cardiovascular/Metabolism, Immunology, Infectious Diseases/Vaccines, Neuroscience, Oncology and Pulmonary Hypertension, and major Global Functions in Discovery, Development and Regulatory Affairs.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion, J&J is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
In this role you will serve as a key advisor to the Vice President, Research & Development Data Science Operations, Platforms and External Partnerships and will assist in strategy development, identification, and leadership for groundbreaking cross-therapeutic area initiatives that are integral to our strategy objectives. You will be responsible for partnering with others in the organization to figure out a strategic and creative vision and then work to execute across multiple Therapeutic Areas in Janssen.
You will seek to understand and contribute to the success of a large variety of projects. You will lead cross-functional and cross-Therapeutic Area teams without direct authority and will work directly with partners internally and externally. You will work both independently and with a team to lead multiple projects, partnerships and initiatives with guidance from leadership, as needed. In addition, you will partner to evaluate current strategy, craft future strategy, and align for execution and implementation.
Strategic & Operational Responsibilities include:
- You will craft strategy development and vision with key partners
- Articulate creative ideas for advancing goals, succinctly document these and ensure that others are aligned and / or fully understanding of the strategy and vision
- Work closely with leadership to enable therapeutic and functional areas to be at the forefront of data driven competitiveness
- You will play a major role in strategy and innovation-focused decisions within the organization
- Quickly assess the potential benefit of innovative technologies, including but not limited to emerging data management, analysis, capture, and storage technologies and associated partner organizations
- Analyze and stay knowledgeable of key technology and data science developments and the competitive landscape affecting our objectives to identify potential opportunities and threats
- Lead proof of concepts and other innovation efforts to understand challenges associated with new technologies, identify potential partners, and define strengths and limitations
- Develop detailed business cases for incorporation of innovative initiatives into standard business practices
- Partner with internal partners to discuss potential research and/or technology opportunities and/or projects
- Provide internal consulting services by topic/technique as needed and liaise with external consulting firms to bring the best of data science and technologies to us
- Identify emergent trends and opportunities for partnerships/ M&A opportunities
Strategy and Project Execution Leadership / Project Management:
- You will partner to lead and ensure effective execution of projects
- Collaborate with Technology (IT) and other departments to support the execution of strategic projects and innovation-focused initiatives
- Lead a team of innovation, life sciences, and data science authorities who are focused on advancing innovative data science capabilities
- Ensure appropriate data science innovation focused resource deployment across Janssen Therapeutic Areas
- Have overall control and responsibility of projects and initiative planning, including staffing, budgeting, handling priorities and recommending and implementing changes to approaches
- Prepare project plans, lead and monitor project progress, actively identify risks to the project and put in place strategies to deal with these, and prepare and deliver progress reports to partners and management
Partner Engagement Planning and Communications Support:
- You will identify partners and build engagement plans to ensure alignment, understand possible issues which might affect project progress or identify possible sources of conflict and derailment which might lead to a “no go”
- Assist with communications planning for projects and lead content development (from a scientific point of view) to enable us to effectively communicate with partners and lead change management
Problem Solving/Decision Making:
- You will work with the VP and other key partners to ensure projects are designed, planned and executed consistent with the strategic plans and priorities of our organization
- Exercise independent and creative thinking by recommending strategic and tactical approaches supporting our organization’s strategic intent. Understands client and partner feedback and adjusts plans as needed, seeking input from the VP, when needed. Sound judgment and strong pattern recognition.
- Develop, format and refine materials for presentation and distribution with input from relevant group members
- Obtain input from project team members and partners to effectively resolve problems and barriers to successful project implementation
- Apply analytical and problem-solving skills to successfully execute on G&O’s
- Partner across the organization to problem solve and create solutions to fully enable a robust data science capability
- You will collaborate with all levels of employees. Projects will involve primarily working with others outside of the Data Science group, both internal and external to Janssen, and you will possess excellent team and interpersonal skills
- Work to bring alignment and / or clarity and group understanding (in instances where alignment may not be fully possible) on all projects assigned. You will effectively network across the enterprise and influence externally to form relationships that will advance our objectives in support of helping patients and consumers. You will influence without having direct authority over and be diplomatic, proactive, fact- and data-based and ethical in all interactions with others.
- Minimum Education: Master’s degree and 15 years’ experience, or PhD or MD and 10 years in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Statistics, or a related life sciences discipline
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with R&D in either biopharmaceutical product development, data sciences, and/or strategic consulting, with a clear track record of success, is required
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in leading, developing, and executing on innovative capabilities within the life sciences sector
- Experience with data and analytic platforms, data science tools, biological data, clinical data, real world data, and associated interoperability standards strongly preferred
- Experience working in or collaborating with technology companies and/or data science /analytics organizations in the context of biopharmaceutical R&D, healthcare and clinical research strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership and management of large, complex projects is required.
- Proven experience in the ability to understand broad, non-traditional technical and business proposals in depth
- Strong problem-solving skills with a solutions mindset required
- A demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities, work independently, and establish multi-disciplinary project teams will be required
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations—project scope may not be clear in initial stages and may need to be created
- Proven track record in cross-functional team leadership required
- Strong oral and written communication skills are required
- Travel requirement of 20% domestic and 20% global
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)