Johnson & Johnson Careers
Research Scientist, Virology - South San Francisco, CA
Requisition ID: 4154190115
Janssen Biopharma, Inc., a member of Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, is recruiting for a Research Scientist, Virology, located in South San Francisco, CA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
We are seeking a highly motivated, creative, and collaborative Research Scientist with a real passion for discovering and developing therapeutics for viral infections. You will join our efforts by participating in multidisciplinary teams supporting the discovery and development of therapeutics for a range of respiratory viral infections including respiratory syncytial virus, human rhinovirus, influenza, and metapneumovirus. In particular, you will be responsible for leading, conducting, and coordinating key biological studies focused on target identification/validation, assay development, mechanism of action, viral resistance, and the development of new tools to study and treat respiratory virus infections.
This is a dynamic, scientifically rigorous position and the role will suit a scientist who is able to thrive in this type of environment.
- Identify new areas/targets of research consistent with infectious disease strategy.
- Independently design, execute, interpret, and troubleshoot a wide range of experimental studies that will support the selection and development of candidate therapeutics.
- Act as an individual contributor and/or functional leader for multidisciplinary projects by providing scientific and technical input for key go/no-go decisions.
- Identify, initiate, maintain, and support external collaborations with both academic and industry partners to advance the selection and development of candidate molecules.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop associate scientists. Provide scientific and technical mentorship to junior scientists within the group.
- Communicate scientific ideas and accomplishments both internally and externally through reports, publications, and presentations.
- PhD with post-doctoral experience in a relevant scientific discipline, OR a B.S. with 12+ years of industry experience performing progressively advanced research studies is required.
- A strong proficiency and skill set in developing and troubleshooting in vitro assays is required.
- Extensive experience in cell culture (cell line and primary cells) and molecular biology techniques (such as qPCR and cloning) is required.
- Good written and oral communication skills with the ability to translate ideas and data into concise communications for publications, conference presentations, and regulatory filings is required.
- Strong motivation, independence, and ability work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment with minimal direction is required.
- Previous experience in drug discovery and proven competence for people management is preferred.
- Previous experience working with viruses in cell culture and/or in vivo infection models is a plus.
- This position is located in South San Francisco, CA, and may require 10% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Biopharma, Inc. (6224)