Johnson & Johnson Careers
DESIGNER ROBOTIC INSTRUMENTS
Cincinnati, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 4092190114
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a R&D Designer - Robotic Instruments, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Ethicon combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are at the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Designer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team-based environment. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture.
R&D Designers are responsible for executing specific & general assignments as an active member of an R&D team. You will provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs through CAD (Computer Aided Design) support on a design team. You will create and maintain documentation related to design & development of a broad range of products & intellectual properties.
- Assist in developing products from conceptual design through production. Design & develop mechanisms (cams, linkages, gear trains). Contribute to concept identification, selection & development.
- Create 3D solid models from dimensioned sketches. Create detail drawings, sub-assemblies & layouts from sketches or markups.
- Apply basic principles to plastic component design (draft, core & cavity) & metallic component design (stampings, wire EDM). Utilize DFM/A (design for manufacturing & assembly) principles in product design. Apply principles of mold design to device component designs (parting line, shutoffs, gates). Apply knowledge of precision metallic design to device component designs (progressive die, laser, wire EDM, stamping).
- Apply GD&T to component drawings & design. Establish, check, & document component tolerance analysis.
- File component design documentation. Release designs to appropriate status as required by schedule.
- Mentor, organize & plan workflow of other designers and contractors.
Other responsibilities may be assigned & not all responsibilities listed may be assigned
2-year (associate) degree in technical drafting or design preferred
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
3+ years’ experience performing comparable duties & responsibilities in a product development or engineering environment (degreed) OR 5+ years’ experience performing comparable duties & responsibilities in a product development or engineering environment (non degreed)
- Self-directed, ability to work with minimal supervision. Adaptable to shifting priorities, Ability to handle rapid pace environment.
- Design principles & techniques, DFMA, FMEA (failure mode evaluation & analysis).
- Proficient in standard drafting conventions and GD&T (geometric dimensioning & tolerance) for component drawings & design.
- Team interaction skills: including working with engineering, marketing & industrial design.
- Ability to organize & complete committed deliverables.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)