Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D Senior Systems & Equipment Development Engineer, Surgical Robotics (1 of 2)
Cincinnati, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 4040190114
The Ethicon Surgical Care business a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting
for a R&D Senior Systems & Equipment Development Engineer, Surgical Robotics, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including
sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of
minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and
services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc.
based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and
manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and electiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was
created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from
open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our team of engineers, designers, and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Development Engineering staff works with NPD teams and Suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements at the lowest possible manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
The Senior Development Engineer will:
• Lead assembly equipment and process development activities within New Product Development projects, supporting activities within the Ethicon Digital Surgery Franchise.
• Work with our Supply Base to deliver qualified assembly processes and equipment that meet established cost, quality, and performance requirements.
• Provide project planning, design support, process development knowledge, and qualification / validation / stabilization execution.
• Utilize their prior work experience, Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) techniques, Lean Six Sigma process knowledge, and the Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) tool to drive the product design to its most efficient outcome.
• Provide mentoring and guidance to less experienced development engineers.
• Have significant experience with several of the following assembly process and manufacturing technologies and concepts utilized by Ethicon’s suppliers: manual assembly, automated assembly, test development, automated vision inspection, laser welding, lean manufacturing, line balancing.
- A Bachelor’s degree with an Engineering focus is required.
- A minimum of (5) years of work experience in manufacturing process development or operations is required.
- Prior experience with manual and automated assembly manufacturing processes is required
- Application of statistical analysis techniques is required (Process Stability / Control / Capability methods, etc.)
- Design of Experiments (DOE) experience is preferred.
- Development and Application of gauging techniques and subsequent Measurement Systems Analyses (GR&R) is required.
- Prior experience in New Product Development, Project Management, and Risk Management experience is preferred.
- Experience within a medical device production environment or other regulated environment is preferred.
- Previous experience with Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) is preferred.
- Experience with process design and development/ build of manufacturing or assembly equipment is preferred.
- Experience with hardware/ software development in relation to manufacturing test systems is preferred.
- Prior experience managing assembly equipment development with an external equipment fabricator/ supplier
- Experience with vision inspection systems and sensors is preferred
- Experience with Process Excellence Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt is preferred.
- Knowledge of GD&T (ASME Y14.5) is preferred.
- This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 30% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)