Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Scientist, Neuroscience Drug Discovery Biology located in La Jolla, CA (San Diego area).
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, we are working to create a world without disease. Transforming lives by finding new and better ways to prevent, intercept, treat and cure disease inspires us. We bring together the best minds and pursue the most promising science.
We are Janssen. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Learn more at www.janssen.com and follow us @JanssenGlobal. Janssen Research & Development, LLC is part of the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist, Neuroscience Drug Discovery Biology to join our Neuroscience Discovery research team dedicated to the discovery and development of breakthrough therapeutics for neuropsychiatric disorders. The Scientist will be an active participant in a vibrant, multidisciplinary drug discovery team. The successful candidate will contribute to the understanding of drug action on receptors, synapses, and neuronal circuits. Experimental work is a very important part of the role and the new hire will spend a significant part of his/her time at the bench.
- Design and carry out experiments using a variety of techniques such as in vitro and in vivo electrophysiology, optogenetics, in vivo imaging, and neurochemistry to explore the interactions between drug-bound target, neuronal networks and brain function.
- Propose and participate in studies on identification and validation of novel drug targets.
- Maintain cutting edge awareness of developments in the field of synaptic and systems neuroscience, originate and defend new scientific ideas, publish, and collaborate efficiently and effectively within the company and with outside collaborators.
- Work independently and in a team while being flexible, self-motivated, curious and willing to revolutionize the world of neuropsychiatric therapeutics.
- PhD in Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Physiology or related field is required
- Relevant post-doctoral experience with proven track record of scientific excellence in neuroscience research supported by high-impact publications is required
- Experience in studying function of neural circuits is required. A focus on mood disorders is preferred.
- Expertise in at least one quantitative method of studying synaptic and circuit function (e.g. brain slice electrophysiology or optical monitoring of neuronal activity) is required
- Proficiency in other research approaches such as optogenetics, in vivo optical imaging, cyclic voltammetry, neurochemistry, patch-clamp, EEG, or neuropharmacology is strongly preferred
- Advanced data analysis and visualization capabilities, and experience working with large datasets will be an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to interact well with peers and collaborators is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required
- This role is based in La Jolla, CA and may require approximately 5% of domestic and international travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)