Johnson & Johnson Careers
Manager, Research & Development Project Management - Milpitas, CA
Requisition ID: 3922181008
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision (JJSV) is recruiting for a Manager, Research & Development Project Management, to be located in Milpitas, CA. JJSV designs, manufactures, and distributes products for the surgical treatment of anterior segment ophthalmic disorders, most notably cataract removal.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
The Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision goal is improving sight throughout a patient’s lifetime. J&J Surgical Vision is well positioned to address a full range of vision health needs for global markets: The No. 2 global provider of CATARACT products and a leader in presbyopia-correcting IOLs, the Global REFRACTIVE (LASIK) market leader, all supported with a CONSUMER EYE HEALTH diverse portfolio of solutions and drops.
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision has operations in the United States, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Europe/Middle East/Africa regions. Research, innovation and new-product development are the focus of our organization. Our associates around the world are committed to expanding our brands and fortifying our position as the worldwide leader in the industry.
You, the Manager, Research & Development (R&D) Project Management, will lead and deliver global new projects through the JJSV Product Delivery Process and will be accountable for guiding the cross-functional teams to ensure strategic alignment and execution of the project deliverables, on schedule, within budget, and to the required quality / reliability standards. You will apply best practices and tools to deliver new products consistent with the business’s strategy and objectives. You are a technically strong individual who works directly with the Technical Leads, Functional Managers and Business Leaders to identify and coordinate the resolution of technical and project risks. The Manager provides timely and effective communication of project progress, advocates for resource and budgetary needs, and uses a leadership style that inspires teamwork, high standards, compliance and overall success in project results for the benefit of the customer and the company.
- Responsible for and compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Develop and ensure all deliverables (project and technical) are well understood by the project core team.
- Lead project team to appropriately challenge project assumptions and thoroughly identify the project and technical risks.
- Prepare project schedule, ensuring timing estimates from the cross-functional team are accurate and appropriately challenged, including buffers to mitigate risks.
- Organize and deliver presentations to management, including the Global New Product Process at stage gate meetings.
- Execute high quality, integrated cross-functional project plans including development of project charter, schedule, milestones, budget, risks, issues and resources needed.
- Be the primary point of contact for the project and interface with Technical Leader on technical issues, Functional Manager on resource issues and Executive Sponsor on project issues.
- Facilitate cross-functional communication between R&D, Marketing, Operations, Quality Assurance and Clinical/ Regulatory organizations.
- Lead project team meetings, develops and manages agenda, minutes, and follow up action items.
- Resolve issues, conflicts and project bottlenecks as they arise, negotiating effectively with others.
- Drive recovery effort so issues do not impact overall schedule.
- Ensure projects run in compliance with Design Control Regulations.
- Supervise the activities of other lower-level personnel.
- Adheres to environmental policy, procedures, and supports department environmental objectives.
- A completed Bachelors degree in an Engineering or Science field is required
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in a regulated industry (with a preference for Medical Device) is required.
- A technical background in health care, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, or pharmaceutical companies is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in R&D new product development in a technology-driven manufacturing industry is required.
- A career history marked by a consistent series of significant contributions and accomplishments is required.
- The ability to interact well with diverse groups across a division and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators is required
- A minimum of 5 years of engineering and/or operational experience is required.
- Experience managing technical core team members and groups of engineers, either by direct report or by influence is required.
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to negotiate and reconcile differences, while optimizing overall organizational goals is required.
- A solid understanding and management of procurement & contracting processes is required.
- A proven track record of successfully delivering new products through entire development cycle, from concept through launch is required.
- Practical working knowledge of each of the following is required:
- ISO 13485 / 14971
- FDA / MDD / CE
- IEC 62304 / 62366
- Design Controls / Design History File
- Requirements Definition
- Risk Management
- Validation & Verification
- This position is located at our company site in Milpitas, CA (not remote options), and will require approximately 20% travel.
AMO Development, LLC (6242)
R&D Engineering (R&D)