Johnson & Johnson Careers
PRIMARY DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER METALS, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Cincinnati, Ohio; Cincinnati, Ohio
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 3800190111
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc., a part of the Johnson and Johnson family of companies, is currently recruiting for a Primary Development Engineer to lead metal component development and qualification activities for surgical instruments in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, energy devices, clip appliers, and trocars - that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity.
Our team of engineers, designers, and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Development Engineering staff works with NPD teams and Suppliers to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements at the lowest possible manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the Digital Surgery franchise while also providing the opportunity for significant professional growth.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
• Lead component development activities within New Product Development projects, primarily supporting activities within the Ethicon Digital Surgery business unit but may have assignments within Ethicon Endomechanical or Ethicon Energy.
• Work with our supply base to provide metals components and sub-assemblies that meet established cost, quality, and performance requirements.
• Provide project planning, design support, process development knowledge, and qualification / validation / stabilization execution.
• Utilize their prior work experience, Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) techniques, Lean Six Sigma process knowledge, and the Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA) tool to drive the product design to its most efficient outcome.
• Have significant experience with several of the following metal processing technologies utilized by Ethicon’s suppliers: Swiss Screw Machining, Metal Injection Molding, Stamping, Milling, Welding, Powdered Metal Forming, Sintering, Heat Treatment, etc.
• Bachelor’s degree with an Engineering and/or Materials Science focus
• Minimum of (3) years of work experience in manufacturing process development or operations
• Prior experience with metal component manufacturing processes
• Application of statistical analysis techniques is required (Process Stability / Control / Capability methods, etc.)
• Development and application of gauging techniques and subsequent Measurement Systems Analyses (MSA)
• Desired Qualifications
• Design of Experiments (DOE) experience
• Prior experience in New Product Development, Project Management, and Risk Management
• Experience within a medical device production environment or other regulated environment
• Previous experience with Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) and Failure Mode Effects Analysis (FMEA)
• Experience with tooling design / build of metal injection molding, stamping, or machining processes
• Experience with Process Excellence Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt
• Knowledge of GD&T (ASME Y14.5)
• CAD experience (i.e. NX, Solidworks)
This position is located in Cincinnati, OH and may require up to 30% travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)