Johnson & Johnson Careers
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SAFETY SPECIALIST
Requisition ID: 3697180611
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s OneMD sector, is recruiting for an Associate Environmental Health and Safety Specialist, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. The Ethicon, Inc. business, based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. The Ethicon Endo-Surgery business focuses on developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
The Associate Environmental Health & Safety Specialist is responsible for: Providing entry-level technical assistance for Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) programs with a strong focus on risk assessments, machine safety, industrial hygiene, environmental programs and ISO14001 requirements. This may include providing management support to our site(s), assisting with compliance to regulatory standards and J&J Worldwide EHS Standards and conformance to ISO (International Organization for Standardization) 14001 Standards. Under direct supervision of a senior EHS professional, the candidate will support all aspects of the Environmental, Health and Safety Management System.
The Associate Environmental Health & Safety Specialist will:
- Provide entry-level technical assistance on Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS), including but not limited to Industrial Hygiene, Ergonomics and ISO 14001 under the direct supervision of a more senior EHS professional.
- Assist with the evaluation, planning and implementation of appropriate EHS program components; under direct level of supervision, assist with projects and initiatives requiring basic knowledge of EHS requirements from identification of potential risk to analysis of the level of risk to the implementation of appropriate control measures.
- Collaborate with site personnel/management to evaluate risk, develop solutions and implement corrective measures.
- Assist with monitoring the progress of action plans, providing basic technical support to help with meeting corporate, business franchise and site goals. Measures include;
- Track and report key performance indicators and metrics by scheduled due dates;
- Collate EHS data and submission of reports meeting appropriate due dates;
- Assist with incident investigations for all reported incidents, including injuries and near misses;
- Assist with the development of EHS procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate standards;
- Represent site(s) on EHS programs & initiatives, including during audits, inspections, committees, etc.;
- Assist with environmental initiatives, including community outreach, recycling initiatives, sustainability projects;
- Perform EHS risk assessments, including analysis of risk, trending and implementation of appropriate control measures;
- Assist with the development and implementation of on-line and/or classroom training and awareness programs;
- Assist in the coordination and serve as an active member on the site(s) Emergency Response Teams(s);
- Evaluation of site processes and programs, including assessment of chemicals, new/modified equipment and work permits.
- Office deskwork, phone, computer use.
- Capable of lifting up to 30 lbs.
- Potential for extended periods of sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, walking, bending, reaching, pulling and pushing.
- Office, R&D, Laboratory, Distribution Center and/or Manufacturing environment.
- Availability for minimal weekend work – project based.
- Availability off hours in the event of an emergency.
- Potential work hazards include, but are not limited to: elevated surfaces and platforms, high energy sources, chemical substances, infectious agents, noise extremes.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate overnight travel may be necessary (10-20%)
- A minimum of a B.S./M.S. in Safety or Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Engineering/Science, Safety Engineering/Science or Chemical Engineering
- A minimum of 6 months of relevant work experience (inclusive of CoOp or Internships).
- Written & verbal communication;
- Business management – produce & maintain EHS project schedules & budgets;
- Interfacing – site associates/management, Occupational Health Professionals, other EHS Professionals, Auditors, and local, state & federal inspectors, consultants, vendors and community representatives;
- Self-starter, show good decision making and judgement skills;
- Customer oriented;
- Independent judgment;
- Accurate & organized – completion of risk assessments, generate all required reports & record keeping systems
- Multi-tasking – coordinate multiple concurrent task & deadlines;
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements including but not limited to, EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and OSHA (Occupational Health & Safety) regulations, on a local, state & federal level;
- Technical knowledge of EHS and industrial hygiene program components is required. Experience is required in identifying, evaluating and controlling EHS risks in the workplace;
- Must be resourceful and creative in development of approaches that use existing resources to address gaps in program components. Must also be able to devise methods for achieving compliance with regulatory and Johnson & Johnson requirements while meeting business constraints of the business location being supported;
- Must be able to extrapolate general guidance documents to the specifics of the business location;
- Must be able to manage multiple demands, develop innovative solutions to problems, partner well with associates at all levels and have the leadership skills to lead projects and teams;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, influence, planning, organizing, and time management skills. Superior team player.
- Proficient in MS Office software programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Sharepoint.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
Environmental Health & Safety