Johnson & Johnson Careers
Primary Electrical/Software Systems Engineer, Advanced Surgery
Requisition ID: 3667180618
Ethicon, a part of the Johnson and Johnson family of companies, is currently recruiting a Primary Electrical/Software Systems Engineer, Advanced Surgery
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, advanced energy, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market enabling significant professional growth.
- This position will involve executing system architecture activities across complex electro-mechanical surgical device programs, integrating the work of multiple technical disciplines.
- Demonstrable communication skills, both written and oral as well as effective leadership are required. Responsibilities will include the following:
- Contribute to designing and implementing Ethicon’s vision for smart/connected operating rooms, including digital/robotic surgery, advanced surgical instruments employing smart/adaptive algorithms to improve patient outcomes, and a connected IoT infrastructure for data analytics and machine learning.
- Contribute to the technical leadership within traditional systems engineering functions by providing active technical engagement within requirements capture, decomposition, trace management, verification, risk management or issue tracking, among others.
- Contribute to system design by performing requirement allocation, decomposition, and analysis as needed to ensure clear and unambiguous design specifications.
- Contribute to product realization by performing trace analysis, risk management, verification effort or other functions necessary to establish the safety and effectiveness of the product.
- Lead the resolution of cross-functional and platform issues, tradeoffs, and risk in accordance with system objectives.
- Leverage capabilities within J&J’s Medical Device sector and throughout J&J in bringing novel concepts to maturity.
- Leverage J&J resources and knowledgebase to identify internal and key external technologies and potential partners.
- Manage the integration of subsystems in accordance with program requirements.
- Develop and manage system and subsystem requirements.
- Support system and subsystem verification against requirements.
- Manage and participate in failure analysis, root cause development, and validation of corrective actions.
- Create interface control specifications for systems including both electrical and mechanical requirements.
- BS/MS in an engineering discipline (Electrical, Software, or Computer Engineering; or Computer Science preferred)
- Minimum 3 years direct experience in a large product development environment
- Experience with embedded electrical and/or software design required
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading and collaborating across organizational boundaries (e.g. project teams, functions, and partner organizations)
- Working knowledge of system-level tools and processes used for requirements management, risk management, issue tracking or test automation with professional expertise in at least one such tool.
- Understanding of Systems Engineering activities with relevant professional expertise in at least one System Engineering area (requirements management, verification or other related activity)
- This position is based in Cincinnati, Ohio, and may involve up to 20% travel.
- Experience within a medical or highly regulated environment is preferred
- Previous experience with surgical devices, procedures, and direct interactions with customers
- Experience developing and managing system and subsystem requirements is preferred.
- Experience managing and supporting the development of test plans and procedures is preferred.
- Experience creating and managing interface control specifications for systems including electrical, software and mechanical requirement is preferred.
- Experience supporting the development and integration of test equipment and test software to support product verification / validation is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)