Johnson & Johnson Careers
DREXEL BIOMATERIALS R&D BGS CO-OP
Requisition ID: 3653190501
Caring for the world one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science, bringing innovative ideas, products, and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $81.6 billion in 2018 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets.
With more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies that employ over 135,000 people work with partners in health care to make a difference in the lives of over a billion people throughout the world.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
DePuy Synthes, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Biomaterials R&D Co-op located in West Chester, PA to support the Biomaterials Research and Development (R&D) Group.
The DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes offers an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
The Biomaterials R&D Group within DePuy Synthes develops products based on advanced biomaterials such as ceramic bone void fillers, bio absorbable polymer implants, drug-device combination products, and cell-based therapies. We engage in early stage evaluation of new materials technologies, device design and development, manufacturing process development, and support of preclinical testing and regulatory submissions. The Biomaterials R&D group collaborates with other divisions within DePuy Synthes (Trauma, Spine, Joint Reconstruction, etc.), as well as surgeons, Regulatory Affairs, Marketing, Sales, and other functional departments to define and develop product concepts.
The Biomaterials R&D co-op will:
- Perform R&D activities in a team environment.
- Assist scientists and engineers in our R&D laboratories to fabricate device prototypes, and may conduct mechanical, chemical, and performance testing to evaluate device performance.
- Conduct experiments and provide data, results analysis, and reports to project teams in a timeline driven process and will contribute to the efficient operation of R&D laboratories.
- Exercise technical judgment in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments, and use professional concepts to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and other technical documentation according to required guidelines.
- Be asked to provide other project or product support as needed in order to support Synthes’ business objectives.
- This position requires work in a Biosafety Level 2 lab and requires less than 5% travel.
- Successful candidate will have strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills, and should be observant and be able to think creatively.
- Able to learn quickly and work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Should have an interest in chemistry, biology, materials science, or medical device design and testing.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater is preferred.
- Candidate must be available to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the ~6-month co-op session.
- Students must be able to provide their own transportation to this location (some public transportation options are available).
- Students must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require future sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Candidates must be a current University Engineering student.
- Candidates must be pursuing a degree in Ceramic Science & Engineering, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Establish and foster collaboration and partnership internally and externally.
- Good sense of priorities and manages time accordingly.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), including experience presenting in front of multidisciplinary audiences, and attending team meeting face to face and by teleconference.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software is required as well as intermediate to advanced software skills with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Housing/relocation assistance would be considered if deemed appropriate.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester-
Synthes USA Products, LLC (6317)