Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Metallurgical Lab Technician
Requisition ID: 3436180212
DePuy Synthes Products, LLC. a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Metallurgical Lab Technician located in Warsaw, IN.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Metallurgical Lab Technician position is organized under the Commercialized Technologies group within Front End Research & Development. As a metallurgical lab technician, the candidate’s primary goal will be to perform metallographic sample preparation, photography, optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopy, hardness, etc at the direction of engineers and scientists, and maintain the metallurgical lab. The Metallurgical Laboratory Technician should have strong technical skills with the willingness and ability to learn new concepts and procedures. This person should be detail oriented and organized, able to follow good laboratory practices, and maintain compliance to environmental, health and safety policies.
The Metallurgical Lab Technician’s primary responsibilities will involve:
- Sample organization and storage - Photo documentation using digital SLR cameras and various lenses to take technical photographs of samples/components
- Metallographic sample preparation including using band saws, high-speed precision saws, low-speed saws, metallurgical grinding and polishing equipment
- Mixing of chemical solutions and metallurgical etching of specimens (swab, emersion, electrolytic, etc)
- Hardness testing which includes Rockwell and Superficial test methods, and Knoop/Vickers microhardness testing or other related equipment
- Examine prepared specimens on an optical metallograph and stereoscope and take digital micrographs at the direction of an engineer/scientist.
- Evaluation of samples with Scanning Electron Microscopy and Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy with the direction of an engineer/scientist.
- Investigate problems of a complex nature with some guidance
- Designs and fabricates fixtures.
- Operation and programming of vacuum and atmosphere heat treatment furnaces
- Functions as technical resource to other lab technicians and trains co-ops on laboratory procedures and practices
- Compiles data, computes results and analyzes data; Prepares reports on findings and presents results
- Technical writing of lab reports, writes work instructions or operating procedures
- Assures equipment is in proper working condition, including facilitating necessary calibration
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment in compliance to environment, health, and safety policies
- Orders, maintains, and appropriately disposes of lab supplies, consumables, and chemicals
- A High School diploma required with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory based experience or advanced scientific/technical training is required.
- An Associate’s degree in a technical or scientific area with a minimum of 2 years of laboratory based experience or advanced scientific/technical training is preferred.
- Additional education or training/experience in Materials Science or Metallurgy is highly preferred.
- Excellent computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office software and Adobe Photoshop is required.
- Demonstrated Mechanical aptitude is required.
- Demonstrated ability to use digital SLR cameras and a basic understanding of optical microscopes is preferred.
- Basic use of shop/lab hand tools is required.
- Knowledge of scanning electron microscopy is preferred.
- Familiarity with material processes such as investment casting, forging, heat treating, sintering, HIP, powder metallurgy, MIM, and welding is preferred.
- Position will be based in Warsaw, IN and may require up to 10% domestic travel.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)