Johnson & Johnson Careers
Requisition ID: 3324181002
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is seeking a Designer to be located in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
The Designer will work in new product development and will develop ideas and concepts for implant and instrument systems utilizing CAD models, prints, and available technologies and own these designs through commercialization. Will be responsible for preparing design proposals, surgical technique storyboards, and CAD layouts for concept evaluation.
These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Interacts with surgeon customers - focusing on user-centric design and critical user needs/inputs
- Responsible for the design of medical device products from concept through development, testing, and manufacturing scale-up
- Supports the production of prototypes with internal and external resources and supports design evaluations to meet project goals
- Participates in conceptual phase of new product development in conjunction with Product Development Engineering
- Supports the resolution of difficult engineering and manufacturing problems utilizing advanced CAD techniques, rapid and conventional prototyping, and other available technologies
- Solves design problems utilizing GD&T for engineering/design information and project documentation
- Supports translation, transfer, and data verification of CAD data to and from outside vendors (i.e. prints) and works with Manufacturing Engineering to establish methods of producing product (i.e. design for manufacturing)
- Collaborate with other DePuy Synthes colleagues worldwide to develop tools and materials in support of product launches
- To ensure timely execution of project objectives, the candidate must have strong problem solving skills and initiative
The candidate must have a demonstrated experience developing creative solutions to solve design problems and effectively communicate those concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons and/ or teams. Must be able to work effectively within a cross-functional team environment.
- A minimum of a high school diploma is required
- A Certification in Design and Drafting or an Associate Degree (technical focus) is preferred.
- 5+years of design experience with CAD/CAM/RP systems, basic machining and advanced design applications or equivalent experience is required
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in R&D, Engineering or New Product Development is preferred.
- Regulated industry experience is preferred.
- Experience with Quality System Requirements and/or Medical Device Directive for medical devices is preferred.
- Perform design trade-offs for performance, form factor, cost, schedule and risk
- Strong track record utilizing computer aided design (CAD) to develop a product required. Experience with Unigraphics preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of various types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards (ANSI and ISO), and GD&T required.
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) preferred.
- Strong verbal / written communication and analytical skills and is preferred.
- Demonstrated customer facing experience, as well as developing and leveraging customer insights is preferred.
- This position is based in Raynham, MA and may require up to 10% travel including international.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)