Johnson & Johnson Careers
Primary Systems Engineer, Surgical Robotics
Requisition ID: 3249190827
Ethicon, part of Johnson and Johnson, is currently recruiting a Primary Systems Engineer for the development of surgical robots and instruments in their Cincinnati, Ohio location.
The Ethicon Surgical Care business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. The Ethicon Surgical Care business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and electiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical specialists are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J/ Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
Job Summary and Responsibilities
Work with internal and external development teams to deliver a novel surgical robot platform and advanced surgical tools.
This position will involve facilitating Systems Engineering activities across complex electro-mechanical surgical device programs and integrating the work of multiple technical disciplines. Proven communication skills, both written and oral as well as effective leadership is required.
- You will be part of the technical leadership within traditional systems engineering function by providing active technical engagement within requirements development, decomposition, trace management, verification, risk management or issue tracking, among others.
- You contribute to system design by performing requirements allocation, decomposition, and analysis as needed to ensure clear and unambiguous design specifications.
- You will perform trace analysis, risk management, verification effort or other functions necessary to establish the safety and effectiveness of the product.
- You drive resolution of cross-functional and platform issues, tradeoffs, and risk in accordance with system objectives.
- A BS in engineering (Systems, Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Biomedical), computer science, or other related fields is required.
- A MS in engineering (Systems, Mechanical, Electrical, Software, Biomedical), computer science, or other related fields is preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of related work experience in an engineering role, including a minimum of two years in a systems engineering role is preferred.
- Proven effectiveness in leading and collaborating across organizational boundaries (e.g. project teams, functions, and partner organizations)
- Working knowledge of system-level tools and processes used for requirements management, risk management, issue tracking or test automation
- Experience in developing product requirements and associated test methods
- Experience in medical device or other regulated industry highly desired
- Experience in performing product risk analysis activities (e.g., in accordance with ISO 14971) desired
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)