Johnson & Johnson Careers
Associate Packaging Engineer
Requisition ID: 3247181001
This role supports assigned manufacturing operations in the areas of packaging process development, equipment design, programming, machinery & equipment acquisition, layout, operations, and other duties associated with engineering support of packaging activities.
- Provides technical support in identifying and implementing new and innovative state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies in the area of packaging.
- Assists in instituting continuous improvements to existing packaging operations through process optimization and innovation.
- Supports the needs of the assigned manufacturing area in terms of meeting the requirements for capacity, availability, quality standards and compliant documentation.
- Conducts and directs minor sections of new package development projects and assists in performing more complex packaging engineering projects to evaluate, select, and adapt standard packaging techniques, procedures, and criteria to increase the efficiency of packaging operations.
- Provides process engineering support of existing processes and supports activities related to the development of new processes including researching current and emerging technologies, evaluating process cost, quality, and capability alternatives.
- Performs work which involves conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, or equipment with relatively few complex features for which there are precedents.
- Performs assignments that have clear and specified objectives and require the investigation of a limited number of variables.
- Performs assignments designed to continue the development of professional work knowledge and abilities requiring application of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of related engineering tasks.
- Assignments usually include one or more of the following: equipment design and development, test of materials, preparation of specifications, process study, research investigations, and report preparation.
- Performs basic research of new packaging technology for potential local application.
- Assists in providing technical support for project planning, development, implementation, and modification; contributes to engineering standards development balancing corporate and customer needs.
- Analyzes new processes, technologies, and equipment with the intent of achieving continuous improvement of present methods using process cost evaluation, quality and capability alternatives analyses, and process characterization.
- Perform project management tasks and documentation activities.
- Participate in cross-functional and virtual project teams.
- Works in a manufacturing environment in compliance with the Quality System Regulation (QSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and applicable Work Instructions.
- Provides day to day support to packaging department including packaging equipment, vision systems, line flow, label and other computer-integrated systems.
- Addresses, troubleshoots, and implements solutions to packaging process issues through interface with internal personnel and Corporate Packaging Technology with assistance of more experienced resources if necessary.
- Assists in sourcing vendors for packaging, tools, fixtures, packaging machines, and other related equipment.
- Completes documentation as required by the process and applicable work instructions, follows sampling procedures, and completes forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data required to perform process validations or other engineering related studies.
- Assists in writing and updating packaging specifications as required and ensures compliance of the packaging area with all relevant laws and regulations.
- Studies operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
- Identifies and assists in instituting state of the art new and innovative manufacturing technologies as well as process improvements for existing manufacturing processes utilizing appropriate engineering principles and standard strategies as e.g. Lean and 5S principles. This includes the integration of inspection into packaging if necessary.
- Participates with management in the decision process to set direction for existing and future packaging initiatives.
- Revises and maintains integrated systems that assure complete lot control of product through packaging department.
- Researches and presents programs in support of human error reduction.
- Assists in and supports automation efforts in the packaging department.
- Assists in developing user requirement specifications for new equipment and processes for new capital projects.
- Assists in coordinating and performing planning and implementation for new equipment, process improvement, and sustaining projects in the packaging area.
- Helps develop project schedules and assists in tracking costs, preparing status reports, conducting meetings, documenting and communicating progress to management.
- Performs process tests along with associated inspection, process control, documentation, and data collection activities.
- Is able to use various types of measuring instruments including numerous types of gages, micrometers, calipers, comparators, etc. for testing and data collection purposes.
- Supports new equipment acquisition efforts including machine selection, installation, validation, employee training, and other related equipment responsibilities as required.
- Assists Quality Engineers in gage design, gage R&R, and implementation as required.
- Assists in the development of SOP's, other control processes, and practices as it pertains to a certain defined cell or area.
- Interfaces regularly with other Manufacturing Engineers, Manufacturing and Engineering Supervisors, QA Inspectors, and Product Development Engineers.
- Acts as a liaison to vendors with regard to contracted packaging processes and other packaging related outside services
- May participate on a team in order to accomplish new product implementation.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- Bachelor's Degree (accredited institution) in Packaging Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or a related field.
- Related experience in packaging and/or packaging engineering (internships, co-ops, practical experience) is required.
- Strong written, verbal communication, and computer skills.
- Previous experience working in a regulated industry is preferred.
- Previous engineering experience with knowledge of product packaging and automation in a manufacturing environment is required.
- Previous experience in Medical device and/or pharmaceutical environment is preferred.
- Previous experience with designing of automated loading systems is preferred.
- Project management and strong organizational skills are preferred.
- CAPA related experience, risk assessment, and process validation are preferred.
- Must be willing to support global projects including some domestic travel.
- Works and communicates with others in a team environment.
- Participates in and understands all compliance related activities pertaining to the job assignment.
- Follows all laws and policies as they apply to one's job and maintains the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and compliance at all times.
- Follows appropriate safety practices in order to prevent accidents to self or others.
- Works in conditions that may be hot, cold, wet and/or noisy along with exposure to fumes, oil, coolants and other manufacturing related chemicals.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills showing courtesy, tact, and understanding in interactions with coworkers, even under stressful circumstances.
United States-New York-Horseheads
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)