Johnson & Johnson Careers
Manufacturing Engineer (1 of 2)
Requisition ID: 3211181001
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for an Manufacturing Engineer. This position is to be based out of Horseheads, NY.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, more agile and better equipped to meet the needs of today’s evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
This role supports assigned manufacturing operations in the areas of process development, tool design, CNC programming, machinery & equipment acquisition, layout, operations, and other duties associated with engineering support of production.
- Provides technical leadership in identifying and implementing new and innovative state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies.
- Institutes continuous improvements to existing manufacturing operations through process optimization and innovation.
- Supports the needs of the assigned manufacturing area in terms of meeting the requirements for capacity, availability, quality standards and compliant documentation.
- Plans, schedules and performs engineering projects to evaluate, select, and adapt or modify standard manufacturing techniques, procedures, and criteria to increase the efficiency of plant operations.
- Provides process engineering and controls support of existing processes. Plans, conducts, and supports activities related to the development of new processes including researching current and emerging technologies, evaluating process cost, quality, and capability alternatives.
- Performs work which involves moderately complex conventional types of plans, investigations, surveys, structures, or equipment with relatively complex features for which there are precedents.
- Performs assignments that have moderately complex objectives and require the investigation of multiple variables.
- Performs moderately complex assignments designed to continue the development of professional work knowledge and abilities requiring enhanced application of standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out engineering tasks.
- Assignments usually include more than one of the following: equipment design and development, test of materials, preparation of specifications, process study, research investigations, and report preparation.
- Performs moderately complex research of new technology for potential corporate application.
- Provides moderately complex technical support for project planning, development, implementation, and modification; contributes to engineering standards development balancing corporate and customer needs.
- Analyzes new processes, technologies, and equipment with the intent of achieving continuous improvement of present methods using process cost evaluation, quality and capability alternatives analyses, and process characterization.
- Is able to train fellow employees in areas pertaining to the job responsibilities.
- Lead projects and perform project management and documentation activities.
- Lead and/or participate in cross-functional and virtual project teams.
- Works independently in a manufacturing environment in compliance with the Quality System Regulation (QSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and applicable Work Instructions.
- Provides day to day support to various types of operations as e.g. but not limited to turning, milling, drilling, EDM, finishing, packaging etc. as required in support of the assigned area.
- Completes documentation as required by the process and applicable work instructions, follows sampling procedures, and completes forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, and reporting quality and reliability data required to perform process validations or other engineering related studies.
- Researches operations sequence, material flow, functional statements, organization charts, and project information to determine worker functions and responsibilities.
- Identifies and institutes state of the art new and innovative manufacturing technologies as well as process improvements for existing manufacturing processes utilizing appropriate engineering principles and standard strategies as e.g. Lean and 5S principles.
- Develops user requirement specifications for new equipment and processes for new capital projects.
- Provides leadership, organization, coordination and perform planning and implementation for new equipment, process improvement, and sustaining projects throughout the plant.
- Develops and manages project schedule, track costs, prepare status reports, conduct meetings, document and communicate progress to management.
- Performs process tests along with associated inspection, process control, documentation and data collection activities.
- Is able to use various types of measuring instruments including numerous types of gages, micrometers, calipers, comparators, etc. for testing and data collection purposes.
- Develops fixturing and tooling design concepts and has the ability to express and implement ideas with tool designers.
- Supports new equipment acquisition efforts including machine selection, installation, validation, employee training, and other related equipment responsibilities as required.
- Assists Quality Engineers in gage design, gage R&R, and implementation as required.
- Supports the development of SOP's, other control processes, and practices as it pertains to a certain defined cell or area.
- Interfaces regularly with other Manufacturing Engineers, Manufacturing and Engineering Supervisors, QA Inspectors, and Product Development Engineers.
- Acts as a liaison to vendors with regard to contracted products, tools & fixtures, and their manufacture.
- May act as a technical reference or complete special projects in individual areas of expertise (i.e., programming, tooling, packaging, finishing, etc.).
- May participate on or lead a team in order to accomplish new product implementation.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or a related field is required.
- Must have at least two (2) years of experience in manufacturing and/or engineering manufacturing.
- Previous internships, co-ops and practical experience will be considered.
- Previous experience working in a regulated industry is preferred.
- Previous experience in Medical Device and/or the Pharmaceutical environment is preferred.
- Must have hands-on startup and troubleshooting skills in a manufacturing environment.
- Must have experience in a CNC metal cutting environment.
- Must have project management and strong organizational skills.
- CAPA related experience, risk assessment and process validation are preferred.
- Must be willing to support global projects including some international travel.
- The job requires to works in conditions that may be hot, cold, wet and/or noisy along with exposure to fumes, oil, coolants and other manufacturing related chemicals.
- This position is located in Horseheads, NY and may require up to 10% travel both domestically and /or internationally.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New York-Horseheads
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)