Johnson & Johnson Careers
HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING COOP
Requisition ID: 3171190429
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $76.5 billion in 2017 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 125,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices (JJMDC) Industrial Design and Human Factors (IDHF) organization is seeking a multi-faceted, exceptionally talented, user entered Human Factors Engineer (HFE) who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. This position will reside in Cincinnati, OH or Raynham, MA.
JJMDC is one of the world’s largest, most innovative surgical companies. The businesses represented are Acclarent, Advanced Sterilization Products, Biosense Webster, Cerenovus, DePuy Synthes, Ethicon, Mentor, and J&J Vision.
Our team leads contextual research to discover unmet user needs, creates usability specifications and requirements, and iteratively tests with stakeholders throughout a robust formative and summative usability process. The position will interact closely with the product development team to design and evaluate user interfaces (hardware and software) for medical products including devices, support systems and associated training /instructional elements. We are a diverse, collaborative, and global team, striving to create products and solutions that improve patient outcomes by delivering remarkable user experiences. The successful candidate will continue to elevate world-class human factors approaches throughout the organization while providing timely usability insight to the product development teams.
- Leverage human factors standards and best practices to inform new product designs and ensure concepts support safe, effective, and satisfying use
- Support the planning, conduct, and reporting of various user research activities, including ethnography, focus groups, formative usability tests, and HF validation (summative usability) tests
- Consolidate user feedback into meaningful design insights and actionable recommendations
- Perform thoughtful and thorough root cause analysis for use-related problems that arise during hands-on usability tests
- Understand the regulatory imperative for medical device human factors, including relevant human factors standards and guidance documents, such as IEC 62366 and FDA's final HF guidance
- Contribute to human factors documentation, including formative and summative test plans and reports, expert reviews, use-related risk analyses, use specifications, known problems analyses, and Human Factors Engineering reports
- Author study documentation (e.g., informed consent forms, study participant recruitment screeners, moderator's guides, use error checklists)
- Perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis to support user interface design recommendations
- Submit a resume that demonstrates involvement in user research, in-depth knowledge of human factors principles, and strong critical-thinking, problem solving, and communication skills
What We Offer You:
- Collaboration & mentorship with world-class designers working toward the common goal of positively impacting the health of humanity
- Dynamic and respectful work environment where we live by the J&J Credo
- Challenging work that will push you to explore, ask questions, and grow as an engineer and a professional
- Experience working for global company
- Opportunity to have direct impact on billions of people
- Competitive compensation
Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies include Biosense Webster (Arrythmias), Cerenovus (Neurovascular), Depuy Synthes (Orthopaedics), Ethicon (General Surgery), Mentor (Breast Aesthetics), Sterilmed (Sterilization), Vision, and Janssen (Pharmaceuticals).
- Must be enrolled in a college/institution and pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in HFE, Usability Engineering, Cognitive Science, or equivalent.
- Only students in their 2nd year of bachelors or above will be considered
- Students must be authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship in the future.
- Availability for up to 4-month co-op rotation
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is preferred, with demonstrated leadership/participation in campus programs and/or community service activities
- Demonstrated experience in the planning and conduct of various user research activities, including ethnography, focus groups, formative usability tests, and HF validation (summative usability) tests
- Strong knowledge of human factors principles; working knowledge of task and risk analysis methods, human perception, and cognition; basic knowledge of anthropometrics, biomechanics and physiology
- Experience consolidating user feedback into concise, meaningful design insights and actionable recommendations. Experience performing root cause analysis for use-related problems is preferred
- Familiarity with FDA, ISO, AAMI, and other relevant usability regulations and standards for medical devices is highly preferred
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)