Johnson & Johnson Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Research & Testing Engineer II
Requisition ID: 3117180207
Depuy Synthes Spine, Inc a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Mechanical Testing and Analysis Engineer II, Spine in Raynham, MA. This position will be based in Raynham, MA.
DePuy Synthes is a Johnson & Johnson company that is one of the leaders in the medical device industry. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopaedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopaedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Building on the legacy and strengths of two great companies, we are creating one organization that will be agile and better equipped in today's evolving health care environment. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
Individual contributes with oversight to the design characterization, verification and risk assessment of spinal implants and instrumentation. This includes communication with multiple disciplines, understanding of clinical issues, defining the clinically relevant testing parameters and applicable industry standards, and ensuring results are provided to the teams.
The Mechanical Testing and Analysis Engineer II position will be responsible with oversight for the mechanical testing aspects of a project, participating on cross-functional project teams through all phases of the product development process, and assisting the technical team with planning, executing, documenting and communicating testing activities: These activities include:
- Contribute to test planning and design risk assessments (DFMEA)
- Plan, direct, and conduct laboratory and field testing of products
- Author test protocols & reports to meet industry (ASTM) & company standards
- Conduct the testing including
- configuration of hardware (Instron, MTS)
- software (Partners, Bluehills) to meet testing requirements
- Document lab activities utilizing good documentation practices (GDP)
- Analysis of data using statistical tools and Six Sigma Design Tools (Gauge R&R)
- Ability to work with Quality, Product Development and Manufacturing Engineers
- Assess the effect of design changes on mechanical performance
- Solve technical problems related to fixturing, test methodology, unexpected failures and challenging test setups
- Design fixturing utilizing CAD tools
- Be involved with complaint investigation utilizing fracture analysis techniques including SEM work and create technical documentation of the investigation
- Clearly and professionally communicate test findings, technical challenges, and proposed resolutions to teams and senior R&T members
- Others duties as requested
The candidate should demonstrate proficiency in supporting the cross functional team with aspects of the project management functions including scope definition and contingency planning. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and interface effectively with project teams, management and surgeons. The individual will also be expected to develop a working knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various spinal pathologies.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering is required. A Master’s Degree is desired.
- A minimum of 2 years of medical test engineering or equivalent is required.
- Competence in static and cyclic testing, data acquisition, and general test engineering methodologies. Knowledge of ASTM Standards preferred.
- Experience with medical devices (Spine or Orthopedic) is highly preferred.
- Strong track record utilizing statistics is a must. Experience with Design Excellence/ Six Sigma methodologies such as Gauge R&R and DOE is preferred.
- CAD skills in Unigraphics NX or Pro-E/Creo desirable
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project etc.) is required. Proficiency in Mini-Tab is preferred.
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate ideas and knowledge to other individuals and work effectively as a team member within the research and testing group.
- The ability to review and critically assess testing documentation and other forms of laboratory documentation is preferred.
- This position will be based in Raynham, MA and may require up to 10% travel, including potential international.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)