Johnson & Johnson Careers
Engineer, Materials & Supplier Engineering
Requisition ID: 3001180604
Johnson & Johnson Vision, Inc. is currently hiring an Engineer, Materials & Supplier Engineering to join its dynamic Technical Operations team located in its Global Headquarters in Jacksonville, Florida.
Johnson & Johnson Vision is committed to improving and restoring sight for patients worldwide. Since debuting the world’s first disposable soft contact lens in 1987, it has been helping patients see better through their world-leading ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses. In 2017, J&J expanded into cataract surgery, laser refractive surgery (LASIK) and consumer eye health and now serves more than 60 million patients a day across 103 countries with its eye health portfolio. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Engineer will be responsible for execution of multiple raw material related projects focused on contact lens materials and manufacturing processes, and the associated packaging. The individual will work with cross-functional teams and ensure that project deliverables are completed on time and within budget. The Engineer will be an integral member of the Materials & Supplier Engineering and parent Technical Operations organizations and be fully accountable for delivering Business Continuity, Cost Improvement, Supplier Enabled Innovation project goals and will provide technical leadership of Supplier Process Changes. The individual will partner closely with key business partners including Source, R&D, Supplier Quality, Engineering, Operations, and Quality Assurance to deliver on business goals and objectives. The role entails working in a medical device environment and applying Materials and Engineering knowledge to deliver innovation solutions to the business, both internally and at external supplier manufacturing sites through feasibility and scale-up. The Engineer will act as an advocate for continuous improvement of technology and processes, minimizing lifecycle cost, and adhering to environmental policies and procedures.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for delivering raw material characterizations/qualification project milestones and developing/updating the appropriate specifications
- Lead and execute material feasibility and qualification protocols and lead cross-functional project teams
- Develop project and qualification plans and manage project goals to established timelines and budgets
- Responsible for working closely with suppliers to ensure on time and in budget completion of projects
- Conduct risk assessments and lead detailed product / process design reviews
- Build strong relationships with other business functions across the Franchise to ensure alignment and support for project goals and objectives
- Implement cost effective manufacturing solutions to drive end to end manufacturing efficiencies in partnership with Source and strategic suppliers
- Partner closely with R&D to characterize materials and support new product introductions
- Technical leadership of supplier process changes in partnership with Supplier Quality
- Support Regulatory Affairs with submissions to Regulatory bodies and associated enquiries
- Knowledge of advanced material characterization techniques and interpreting data
- Conduct feasibility studies to assess new technologies or process improvements
- Strong technical writing skills and ability to present work clearly and with the appropriate content for the given audience, attention to detail
- Apply appropriate statistical and validation techniques based on overall risk
- Utilize a methodical approach in solving complex problems and in support of root cause analysis activities related to materials and associated processes
- Support the development of business cases for new materials and process development projects
- Ensure all activities comply with GMP, ISO, and quality system requirements
- Ensure that all health, safety and environmental requirements are fulfilled
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline (e.g. Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Polymer Science) is required; Advanced degree (MS or PhD) is preferred
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience is required
- Experience within regulated medical device, pharmaceutical, or consumer packaged goods industry preferred
- Prior project management experience preferred
- Knowledge of statistical design and analysis of experiments
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required
- Excellent organizational skills required
- International collaboration experience is desired
- This position will be located Jacksonville, Florida and requires ability to travel domestically and internationally 25% on average.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (6094)