Johnson & Johnson Careers
Head of Data Science, Immunology R&D
Requisition ID: 2933181001
Janssen Research & Development is a world-class biotech and pharmaceutical organization committed to research and development of innovative therapies for diseases of great need. Janssen Immunology Research & Development focuses on improving the health and lifestyles of people with serious immunological and inflammatory conditions worldwide, and today has a leading portfolio of medicines to treat psoriasis, Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, atopic dermatitis and ulcerative colitis.
Janssen Immunology recognizes data science plays an increasingly important role in drug discovery and development, from target validation to improved patient selection and robust, predictive molecular, imaging and digital end points. As such, Janssen Immunology is committed to building out a foundational new data science capability, harnessing novel developments in analytical technologies and processes, to power its portfolio and pipeline as well as enhance its ability to survey the external landscape for productive partnerships.
The Head of Data Science - Immunology will be responsible for creating and executing a vision of data science aligned with Janssen Immunology strategy, to improve the probability of success and accelerate the discovery, development, and delivery of new medicines to patients. The Head of Data Science will work with the Immunology R&D group to survey, assess, generate and synthesize a data science strategy integrated into portfolio decision making and clinical trial design. Data science will be used to aid and drive pipeline decision-making in areas such as, but not limited, to the following: target identification, target validation, engineering of therapeutic molecules, identification of selection and response biomarkers. The incumbent will be able to articulate the analytics proposition to business stakeholders and collaborate with research scientists to find use case opportunities within Janssen’s Immunology R&D areas of interest.
The incumbent will also use data science to drive the creation of new therapeutic programs powered by insights from analysis and integration of data. As a key member of Janssen Immunology, Head of Data Science will be accountable for delivering programs with a strong data-driven basis in partnership with Immunology R&D, as well as improving the probability profile of the portfolio by advancing programs with evidence generated by data-driven methods.
In addition, the Head in Data Science – Immunology will lead an analytical group that will partner closely with Janssen’s Immunology R&D group to propose executable solutions using advanced data analytics capabilities and innovative visualizations with the aim of turning data into actionable insights. The incumbent will propose executable solutions towards understanding and evaluating business questions and pipeline progression. As needed, the incumbent will coordinate a team of modelers and developers to design, develop and implement end-to-end advanced analytics production pipelines (data exploration, sampling, training data generation, feature engineering, model building, and performance evaluation).
The incumbent will support analytics design decisions by taking relevant inputs from the Immunology research teams and pushing analytics team to confirm assumptions, extract relevant insights and interpret the models and outputs to drive decisions.
This position will have global leadership responsibilities for a wide range of activities, including talent and capability development, training, resource deployment, and supporting an organizational culture that promotes data-driven decision making across all functions of Janssen’s Immunology R&D group. The incumbent will ensure the alignment both within the project and with the project external stakeholders, understanding the risk and business implications of design choices.
The incumbent will report to the Global Head of Immunology and will be a voting member of the Senior Leadership team. Janssen Research & Development is a world-class biotech and pharmaceutical organization committed to research and development of innovative therapies for diseases of great need. Janssen Immunology Research & Development focuses on improving the health and lifestyles of people with serious immunological and inflammatory conditions worldwide, and today has a leading portfolio of medicines to treat psoriasis, Crohn’s disease, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, atopic dermatitis and ulcerative colitis.
The incumbent will be responsible;
- Defining and executing on a Janssen Immunology data science strategy and goals in alignment with Immunology research leadership and broader group on strategic directions
- Driving therapeutic programs at all stages of the pipeline with existing and novel data science methods
- Leading Janssen Immunology’s external and internal innovation in data science across the pipeline from exploratory research to late clinical development
- Identifying external data sets of value to internal programs and setting up mutually beneficial collaborations or agreements
- Implementing complex analytical algorithms, extracting relevant insights, and setting up and maintaining attendant software infrastructure
- Determining when to move from experimental approaches to robust production grade software
- Managing and mentoring quantitative and computational teams and being accountable for hiring the best talent into the organization and ensuring the growth, development, and retention of staff
- Assimilating and synthesizing emerging trends in data science and Immunology by attending relevant meetings and conferences
- Communicating analytical capabilities and identifying leverage points at all levels of the organization within and outside of Janssen Immunology
- As member of Senior Leadership, setting strategy and prioritizing resources aligned with pathway/disease areas to support organizational goals
- Working with modelers and developers in IT to make sure that all data solutions are consistent across Immunology
- Extracting relevant insights and interpreting the models and outputs to support Immunology programs
The incumbent will report to the Global Head of Immunology and will be a voting member of the Senior Leadership team.
A minimum of a PhD degree (with at least 10+ years' experience) in Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational biology and/ or Information Technology, Computer Science
- Experience in leading a team of bioinformaticians/ data scientists/ modelers.
- 10+ years of experience managing and leading Analytical teams in Immunology.
- Strong publication record:
- Proven ability to provide testable hypothesis based on systematic analysis of data from pre-clinical, clinical, and RWE data.
- Understanding of high performance algorithms and data science software such as R, Python, Perl, C/C++ etc. and related bioinformatics packages.
- Ability to facilitate and lead others and to coordinate complex activities.
- Excellent problem solving, critical thinking, and communication skills with the ability to present technical solutions in simple manner and communicate the Immunology pipeline and business implications for ImmunologyContributions to external scientific community through presentations, publications, and participation in scientific conferences .
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)