Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior External Manufacturing Engineer
Requisition ID: 2900190430
Ethicon, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s OneMD sector, is recruiting for a Senior External Manufacturing Engineer, located in Cincinnati, OH.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made significant contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from creating the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our commitment to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our commitment to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit www.ethicon.com.
The Senior External Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for functioning as an integral member of a team in support of manufacturing operations performed by external manufacturers. Provide technical support to ensure product quality, cost & performance objectives are met.
- The Engineer will support to or lead development, design, and the validation of existing & start up manufacturing & assembly operations that meet objectives for product quality requirements, cost & performance.
- Participate in all other needed team activities supporting where required to other functional areas within team.
- Ensure products are designed properly for manufacture & select and qualify Manufacturers.
- Assignments will typically be of low to moderate size & complexity, or he/she may be assigned responsibility for part of a more complex project.
- Work closely with Contract Manufacturers & EES groups to insure design for manufacturability, quality & cost team goals are met.
- Assist by providing technical leadership and or support to evaluate & select Manufacturers.
- Lead technical support to assist in establishing & maintaining GMP compliant processes.
- Perform engineering studies & analyses on existing manufacturing processes to improve process reliability, problem solving, or improve product quality & cost.
- Design & / or purchase tooling & equipment. Using appropriate statistical techniques develop validation protocols, complete process capability studies & process validation on both internal & supplier processes.
- Actively participate in other team activities to help insure total team success.
- Take an active role in learning for self & others to further company objectives.
- Complete assignments involving a specific phase of an engineering project & / or line support activity.
- Assist in identifying objectives & planning schedules of specific task within a given project / activity.
- Provide line support responsibilities for specific products.
- Handle technical & or business issues with internal & external customers (at a business unit level).
- Act as an ISO Champion or Deputy for an EES Quality System(s) as required. Oversee & direct activities of other technical support staff & delegate their assignments as required.
- Apply comprehensive & diverse knowledge of engineering / business principles to a broad range of assignments. Plan, conduct & direct technical / business projects to completion (typical scope is at External Manufacturing or Operations level).
- Devise or adapt new methods, using a full understanding of procedures & various product support improvement techniques.
- No direct reports.
- Up to 25% travel, including international. Some travel may be on short notice.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical or Electro-Mechanical Engineering or related scientific discipline with a minimum of 7 years of related engineering experience; or an advanced degree (e.g. M.S.) with 5 years of related engineering experience.
- Knowledge of regulatory affairs, GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) & ISO9000 (International Organization for Standardization) is required.
- Medical device experience is highly preferred.
- Manufacturing/assembly experience is required.
- Experience with Process Development and Design; Materials Manufacturing and Processing; Injection molding; Elastomeric and Electronic Components; Ultrasonic Device Development; Mechanical and/or electro-mechanical assemblies is preferred.
- Experience with process validation, statistical process control & knowledge in Applied statistics is preferred.
- CADD, other 3D modeling experience is preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Taking a highly collaborative approach with ability to partner, collaborate, and effectively negotiate in a team environment is required.
- Strong project management experience is required.
- This position is to be located in Cincinnati, OH and will require up to 25% travel, both domestic and International. Some travel may be on short notice.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)