Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, US Market Access Scientific & External Strategy (2 positions)
Requisition ID: 2882180601
Janssen Scientific Affairs, a member of Johnson & Johnson’s Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Director, US Market Access Scientific & External Strategy located in Titusville, NJ or Horsham, PA. This role has a strong preference to be based in Titusville, NJ or ability to work out of Titusville several days of the week.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC is dedicated to providing medical information and consultative support to the Janssen pharmaceutical companies.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
This role, part of a Real World Value and Evidence (RWV&E) team focusing on market access related scientific and external strategies, is a critical partner and contributor across the lifecycle of key Janssen products, with a focus on meeting the rapidly evolving market access needs of the US healthcare system. This role will have two main responsibilities:
- You will support the Senior Director, US Health Economics, Access and External Engagement in the following areas: (a) environmental monitoring and external outreach/engagement around evolving US healthcare financing models and drug value assessment frameworks, (b) synthesizing or generating data/ evidence supporting Janssen’s patient-centric positions in key issues (e.g., non-medical switching, inefficiencies/waste in US healthcare), and (c) ensuring robust and integrated US payer input into developmental programs (e.g., Phase II/III clinical trials and other supporting evidence plans including RWE).
- In response to emerging business needs (e.g., major data releases, product launches, etc.), this role will be assigned to a specific therapeutic area (TA) of RWV&E Inhouse to provide strategy and research support for the TA (e.g., CVM, Immunology, etc.) as flexible expert resource conducting the following tasks: (1) developing market access scientific strategies, evidence generation and RWV&E Field communication plans and materials; (2) partnering to respond to and shape external Health Technology Assessment (HTA) organizations around their reviews of Janssen products (3) executing research studies and other related projects, as aligned with IEGP and emerging business needs.
Examples of key functions related to the responsibility 1 above include:
• Partner with JSA and RWV&E leadership, SCG, Global Health Policy, Gov’t Affairs, Communications, and Global Market Access, among other functions, to develop Janssen’s overarching strategic positions on key health economic and policy issues and provide supporting data (e.g., pharmaceutical value assessment frameworks, rebate practices, non-medical switching of medications, inefficiencies in US healthcare, patient assistance programs, etc.)
• Strengthen the understanding of the pressure on the industry/Janssen related to drug prices and international differential drug prices; monitor and analyze proposed drug pricing solutions; strengthen economic messages linked to innovations improving patient outcomes and/or healthcare efficiency.
• Monitor organizations influencing benefit design, access, provider payment policy, patient incentives, coverage and reimbursement (e.g,. NIH, MedPAC, HHS, NICE partnering with CMS, CMS/Innovation, AHIP, NQF, AHRQ, population health research organizations, AMA and specialty societies, etc.).
• Foster strong external relationships with thought leaders, researchers, and policy partners, including academics, professional society leads, customer contacts, to validate, refine, and share Janssen’s perspectives and strategies around the related issues.
• In collaboration with the Regional Core Strategy Team (RCST), contribute to forming and providing robust US input into R&D for key pipeline products, based on our understanding of US healthcare system’s needs for evidence 3-5 years into the future.
Examples of key functions related to the responsibility 2 above include:
• Become an integrated part of the assigned RWV&E TA team to partner with Integrated Evidence Teams to shape, develop, and pressure-test RWV&E FIELD materials for payer customers (i.e., MCOs, PBMs, and IDNs).
• Within the assigned TA, this role includes:
a. Scientific partner to Strategic Customer Group (SCG) to shape and align on winning market access strategy
b. Partner with BRAND, SCG, and RWA&A to explore and develop viable options for Value-Based Contracts for the TA
c. Lead (or actively participate in) internal reviews of and responses to external value assessment activities impacting the TA (ICER, DERP, etc.)
d. RWV&E contact for customer engagements related to potential customer-specific research partnerships
e. RWV&E lead on Regional Core Strategy Teams (RCSTs) for the TA
• In collaboration with the TA product Lead, lead evidence generation activities for the TA in partnership with RWA&A or external research organizations
- A master’s degree in health economics, statistics, health policy or related field is required. A doctorate is preferred.
- A minimum 8 years of experience in the pharm or healthcare industry, preferably in Health Economics, Market Access, Outcomes Research, Epidemiology, Health policy, Strategic Pricing, or related functions is required.
- Oncology experience is preferred, Immunology and CNS is preferred.
- Deep knowledge of US healthcare financing and delivery is required.
- Experience in HTA (health technology assessment) markets is strongly preferred.
- Experience in leading a team in a matrix environment is preferred.
- Requires ability to facilitate alignment across multiple stakeholders with, at times, misaligned interests.
- Requires a highly motivated, creative self-starter with a demonstrated track record of leadership and achievement.
- This role requires 10-20% for mostly domestic travel.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
United States-New Jersey-Titusville
North America-United States-Pennsylvania-Horsham
Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC (6120)
Health Economics R&D