Johnson & Johnson Careers
DREXEL R&D BIOMATERIALS COOP
Requisition ID: 2856181001
DePuy Synthes, a member of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Biomaterials R&D Co-op located in West Chester, PA to support the Biomaterials Research and Development (R&D) Group.
The DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes offers an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of joint reconstruction, trauma, spine, sports medicine, neurological, craniomaxillofacial, power tools and biomaterials. Our implants and instruments are used by orthopedic surgeons to treat patients with conditions resulting from traumatic injuries, degenerative diseases, deformities, and sports related injuries. Our environment is entrepreneurial, learning-driven, and is as challenging as it is rewarding.
The Biomaterials R&D Group within DePuy Synthes develops products based on advanced biomaterials such as ceramic bone void fillers, bio absorbable polymer implants, drug-device combination products, and cell-based therapies. We engage in early stage evaluation of new materials technologies, device design and development, manufacturing process development, and support of preclinical testing and regulatory submissions. The Biomaterials R&D group collaborates with other divisions within DePuy Synthes (Trauma, Spine, Joint Reconstruction, etc.), as well as surgeons, Regulatory Affairs, Marketing, Sales, and other functional departments to define and develop product concepts.
- Perform R&D activities in a team environment.
- Assist scientists and engineers in our R&D laboratories to fabricate device prototypes, and may conduct mechanical, chemical, and performance testing to evaluate device performance.
- Conduct experiments and provide data, results analysis, and reports to project teams in a timeline driven process and will contribute to the efficient operation of R&D laboratories.
- Exercise technical judgment in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments, and use professional concepts to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook and other technical documentation according to required guidelines.
- Be asked to provide other project or product support as needed in order to support Synthes’ business objectives.
- This position requires work in a Biosafety Level 2 lab and requires less than 5% travel.
- Successful candidate will have strong analytical, problem solving and communication skills, and should be observant and be able to think creatively.
- Able to learn quickly and work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Should have an interest in chemistry, biology, materials science, or medical device design and testing.
- GPA of 3.0 or greater is preferred.
- Candidate must be available to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the ~6-month co-op session.
- Students must be able to provide their own transportation to this location (some public transportation options are available).
- Students must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require future sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Candidates must be a current University Engineering student.
- Candidates must be pursuing a degree in Ceramic Science & Engineering, Materials Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Establish and foster collaboration and partnership internally and externally.
- Good sense of priorities and manages time accordingly.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal), including experience presenting in front of multidisciplinary audiences, and attending team meeting face to face and by teleconference.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office software is required as well as intermediate to advanced software skills with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Housing/relocation assistance would be considered if deemed appropriate.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester-
Synthes USA Products, LLC (6317)