Johnson & Johnson Careers
SENIOR MANAGER, NEW VENTURE TRANSACTIONS
Requisition ID: 2688190602
Johnson & Johnson Innovation (JJI), a part of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Senior Manager, New Venture Transactions, to be located in South San Francisco, CA. Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the pharmaceutical, consumer health, and medical device markets. The more than 230 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employ over 130,000 people worldwide.
Part of Johnson & Johnson’s Global External Innovation organization, JJI focuses on accelerating all stages of innovation worldwide and forming collaborations between entrepreneurs and Johnson & Johnson’s global healthcare businesses. JJI provides scientists, entrepreneurs, and emerging companies with one-stop access to science and technology experts who can facilitate collaborations across the pharmaceutical, medical device and consumer companies of Johnson & Johnson. JJI is comprised of a family of complementary teams: JJI, Innovation Centers; JJI, JLABS (a network of life science incubators); and JJI, Johnson & Johnson Development Corporation (making venture investments). Through the work of these teams, JJI connects with innovators to create customized deals and novel collaborations that speed development of innovations to solve unmet healthcare needs. For more information, visit www.jnjinnovation.com or follow @JNJInnovation.
Johnson & Johnson Innovation, Innovation Centers (ICs), consists of four regional hubs—in California (South San Francisco), Boston (Cambridge), London, and Shanghai. The Senior Manager, New Venture Transactions, will be an integral part of the New Venture Transactions Team in the California Innovation Center. She/he/they will work mostly on external innovation opportunities in pharma, but may also work on opportunities in medical devices, consumer healthcare, health technology, and data sciences, and on cross-sector opportunities.
The Senior Manager, New Venture Transactions, will have responsibilities that include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Establish and maintain relationships with healthcare innovators, both in entrepreneurial and academic settings, in the local ecosystem and throughout Western North America.
- Participate in the sourcing, screening, evaluation and mentoring of companies with game-changing science for Johnson & Johnson’s multiple incubators and accelerators.
- Work with internal Johnson & Johnson stakeholders and with therapeutic area and operating company scientific experts on strategic priorities and on the identification of potential growth areas.
- Generate and prioritize a flow of innovative opportunities of high potential interest to Johnson & Johnson—in current core business areas, strategic adjacencies, and new potential markets.
- Participate in and coordinate scientific and business due diligence on high-priority opportunities, including building the strategic rationale and business case for the opportunity.
- Under close supervision from her or his manager, work with teammates in the scientific, transactions, finance, venture capital, legal, project management, and communications groups, to identify optimal deal structures, participate in deal negotiations, and shepherd deals through approval processes and to closure.
- In some cases, manage and optimize collaborations with external innovators after deal closure.
- Participate in strategic landscaping projects, and, possibly, coordinate the activities of interns on such projects.
- A Ph.D. and/or an M.D. is required.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, oncology or immuno-oncology is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of work experience in the field of biopharmaceuticals; this work experience can have been acquired through work directly in these industries (whether in large or small companies) or through work experience in venture investing, management consulting, investment banking, technology transfer, or partnership management is required.
- Familiarity in the evaluation and execution of business development deals (particularly, research collaboration and license deals) is strongly preferred.
- A demonstrated track record of high performance, academically and professionally, is preferred.
- The ability to communicate well, both in oral and written form, is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a high degree of self-awareness are required. Must possess flexibility, and a high capacity for teamwork..
- Existing knowledge of, and network in, the West Coast ecosystem of healthcare (or life science) innovators and investors is strongly preferred.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
J&J Innovation LLC (6205)