Johnson & Johnson Careers
Requisition ID: 2648190819
Janssen Research & Development, LLC, a Johnson and Johnson Company, is hiring a Senior Scientist in the Nonclinical Safety (NCS) Pathology Department, located in La Jolla, CA.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Scientist in Molecular Pathology applies expertise and experience to enable NCS to accomplish our shared goal of identifying safe, efficacious and transformational therapies for the patients. The Senior Scientist works in the Nonclinical Safety (NCS) Pathology Department, contributes with robust technical and scientific output in Molecular Pathology and reports directly to the La Jolla, CA USA Molecular Pathology Laboratory supervisor.
- Accountability for the design, development, analytical validation, and implementation of molecular pathology assays with minimal supervision (including single/multiplex immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization) for the evaluation of target expression in nonclinical and clinical species.
- Generates routine molecular pathology data with minimal supervision with the application of multiple cutting-edge digital pathology tools/platforms, including image analysis algorithms and AI modules (e.g., Visiopharm, Halo).
- Proficient in using and troubleshooting automated molecular pathology instruments.
- Independently authors comprehensive and integrated validation, technical, and investigational molecular pathology reports.
- Communicate molecular pathology results in the form of written and oral reports to internal team members and management. Attends and presents at pertinent internal and external scientific meetings.
- May perform or oversee the design and execution of experiments applying specialized tissue-based methodology, including spatial transcriptomics, laser capture microdissection (LCM), molecular imaging/tissue MALDI Mass Spectrometry Imaging (MALDI MSI), and transmission electron microscopy (TEM), internally in collaboration with Janssen partners or outsourced (academia, CRO).
- May perform or oversee the design and execution of orthogonal experiments complementary to molecular pathology, including PCR, Western blot, immunoblot, cell-based assays (e.g., flow cytometry, generation of overexpressing control cell lines).
- Maintains scientific depth and expert working knowledge of current technological developments and innovation opportunities that impacts molecular pathology.
- Oversees and ensures the upkeep of the lab’s electronic notebooks and digital molecular pathology database (scanned slides, micrographs).
- May assist with technical audits of outside collaborators (academia, contract research laboratories) providing molecular pathology services.
- May assist, perform, or oversee routine histology workload, including but not limited to tissue trimming, processing, embedding, sectioning, and staining (H&E, special stains, and molecular pathology assays such as localization of target genes and proteins using immunohistochemical and in situ hybridization staining).
- May assist with the maintenance of the electronic in vivo study calendar.
- May assist, perform, or oversee tissue collection for molecular pathology process optimization.
- Works closely with the Pathologists and other scientists within and outside of NCS’ functional groups.
- A Ph.D. degree (area of focus in pathology, molecular pathology or related disciplines) with at least 5 years of relevant experience or a M.S. degree in the same fields with at least 10 years of relevant experience is required.
- Robust experience in applied molecular pathology and tissue technology in a diverse research & development environment is required.
- Extensive experience with diverse automated histology and molecular pathology platforms (e.g., Ventana Discovery Ultra, DAKO, Leica Bond) is required.
- Histotechnology expertise is required; HT/HTL certification is an asset.
- At least 5 years of hands-on experience with routine histology and molecular pathology techniques (immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization) in academia or industry is required.
- Broad scientific knowledge and hands-on experience with background literature and database research, selection and validation of suitable reagents, protocol design and execution, reagent optimization and validation, and cross-reactivity studies is required.
- Strong problem-solving and technical skills in histology and molecular pathology is required.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and experience in working with diverse teams globally is required.
- A strong publication record in relevant scientific fields is an asset.
- The ability to develop the knowledge and application of current local, state and federal guides, laws and regulations for good laboratory practices is required.
- This position is located in La Jolla, CA and may require up to 10% of domestic and international travel.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)