Johnson & Johnson Careers
Design Manager, Industrial Design & Human Factors
Requisition ID: 2640180923
Are you passionate about improving healthcare experiences for patients, caregivers and healthcare systems? Do you have a proven record of spearheading user centric design methodologies to deliver best in class usability and drive complex product solution sets that surpasses the competition? The Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices (JJMDC) Industrial Design and Human Factors (IDHF) organization is seeking a Design Manager (Level 1) to support the growing Orthopedic Solutions Team. With worldwide sales of over $27 billion, Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices is one of the world’s largest, most innovative surgical companies. We are a growing organization with over 8 global and domestic IDHF teams within the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices (JJMDC) sector. Our IDHF Orthopaedic Solutions Team provides strategic design leadership for all business units under the Depuy Synthes portfolio spanning over the Joints, Trauma, Spine, Sports and Advanced Innovation businesses.
This position will leverage various core competencies consisting of Usability Champion, Research-driven Innovator, Classic Industrial Designer, Brand Ambassador and Strategic Design Leader. This position can reside in either Raynham MA, Warsaw IN or West Chester PA and will report to a Senior IDHF Manager/Associate Director based in Raynham MA.
- Proven success in leveraging human-centered design methodologies to identify what makes a product intuitive-to-use. Observe and interact within a clinical environment to identify and eliminate potential use errors early in the development process. Leverage insights to inspire others to think more empathically.
- Provide creative design leadership that uncovers new product opportunities by working with the IDHF team and our customers to gather, synthesize and translate user research into concepts that advance surgical care.
- Collaborate across J&J’s business units to help build a compelling and unique brand presence in our market.
- Proven ability to translate overall business and design strategy into tactile product usability objectives and obtainable success measures for a team.
- Optimize IDHF's ability to execute great design within a complex healthcare environment. Ability to make decisions affecting resources (people, cost, and time), possess broad project management skills, and the ability to adjust between big-picture thinking and product level details.
- Demonstrates strong people and program management skills in parallel with the ability to craft strong design strategy.
- Responsible for influencing a user-centric business culture across the J&J organization and guiding teams to create innovative approaches to design solutions.
- A BS/BA in Industrial Design, Human Factors, or related degree is required
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience is required
- Relevant experience leading multi-disciplinary product development teams and external partners is required
- Self-directed activities focusing on the development of product line strategies, planning flexible department structures & supporting change as corporate structure evolves. Able to achieve a balance of daily departmental operation & individual workload is required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop, manage and coach associates to strengthen organizational capabilities around product design is required
- Experience managing direct reports is required
- Experience with department administration, including operating within expense & capital budgets is required
- Additional skills and hands-on experiences that augment the design process are preferred (e.g., Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Graphic Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, Mechanical Engineering, Clinical Experience…etc.)
- This position may require up to 15% domestic and international travel
For consideration, please submit a PDF, or provide a link to web-based portfolio that demonstrates successful product launches.
you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is
career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester, North America-United States-Massachusetts-Raynham
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)