Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Engineer.
Requisition ID: 2625180205
Ethicon a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting Senior Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Engineer. This position will be located at the San Angelo, TX.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies-including sutures, hemostasis products, surgical staplers, trocars, energy devices and synthetic mesh devices-that are used in a wide variety of open and minimally invasive surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women's health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. The Ethicon business combines products and services of two market leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of surgery.
The Senior Environmental, Health & Safety (EHS) Engineer will serve as the EHS technical expert for all EHS programs including environmental focus in waste management, air quality, water and energy conservation. Safety programs include industrial hygiene, ergonomics, machine safety, and process safety management. Under the direction of the EHS Manager, the candidate will support all aspects of the Ethicon – San Angelo Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Management System.
- Intimate knowledge of OSHA, USEPA, TCEQ and DOT regulations.
- Impacts of industrial operations on the environment – air pollution, wastewater, hazardous & non-hazardous waste management, toxic chemical management, emergency response and protection of ground and surface water.
- Pollution prevention and control methods.
- Environmental management systems, including ISO14001.
- Environmental auditing
- Environmental Management: Manage and ensure compliance for waste management program, air permit, water / wastewater / storm water permits, and support energy and water conservation programs.
- Safety Risk Management: Identify and assess safety risks to maintain a safe work environment including industrial hygiene, ergonomics, machine guarding, and process safety (PSM). This person will be expected to technically assess risks and use advanced knowledge of EHS principles and practices to develop and implement corrective and preventive actions for all identified safety risks.
- Monitoring, Measuring & Recordkeeping: Coordinate and conduct all required air permit and water permit sampling, IH (noise and chemical) monitoring; perform ergo risk assessments; conduct machine guarding risk assessments; and develop job safety analysis for automated and manual job functions.
- Assessment & Audits: Perform routine EHS assessments; utilize the J&J Management Awareness and Action Review System (MAARS), and audits to identify program specific deficiencies and areas of risk. Successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with site management to implement corrective measures. Lead incident investigations for all reported injuries and near misses.
- Regulatory & Corporate Compliance: Evaluate facilities compliance with federal, state, local EHS regulations and J&J Corporate EHS Standards. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and establish Operational Procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate standards. EHS professional will track and report key performance indicators and metrics.
- Training, Education & Awareness: Evaluate, plan and implement EHS training and awareness programs. Develop and implement training packages for on-line and/or classroom training.
- Occupational Health Liaison: Work closely, establishing a partnership with Ethicon and local Occupational Health Professionals to ensure the related programs and practices are implemented at the location.
- Emergency Preparedness: Assist in coordination and serve as an active member on the site(s) Emergency Response Team(s). Establish training programs and drills.
- Evaluate, plan and implement EH&S programs; manage projects requiring advanced knowledge of EHS principles, practices and regulatory requirements from identification of potential risk to analysis of the level of risk to the implementation of appropriate control measures. Document results accordingly and present to appropriate site personnel and management.
- Monitor and evaluate new regulations to determine impact on operating location.
- Prioritize work load and site(s) needs to ensure the appropriate support is being maintained to address compliance, training needs, and ISO14001.
- Poor decision making may result in site non-compliance with regulatory and Johnson & Johnson requirements, liability, and potentially negative media attention, and possible delays in production.
- This position resides in the Environmental, Health & Safety Department and reports to the EHS Manager.
- Bachelor degree in occupational safety, environmental sciences, engineering or related filed is required.
- 3 – 5 years’ relevant experience in EHS management systems is required.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and US EPA, TCEQ and DOT regulations is required.
- Experience in air permitting and waste management programs is required.
- Experience assessing impacts of industrial operations on employees through ergonomic principles is desired.
- Experience in assessing industrial hygiene risks and conducting IH monitoring is required.
- Working knowledge of machine and electrical safety including machine guarding and LO/TO programs is required.
- Process Safety Management program is desired
- EHS management systems including OHSAS-18001 and ISO14001 is desired
- EHS auditing is required.
- Computer competent with Microsoft Office Software is required.
- Must be available around the clock to respond to site(s) related emergencies is required.
- Up to 10% travel is required.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, show good decision making and judgment skills, be customer-oriented, able to effectively communicate with all levels of management
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this opportunity today.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected
United States-Texas-San Angelo
Ethicon Inc. (6045)
Environmental Health & Safety