Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director, Industrial Design & Human Factors
Requisition ID: 2491180921
The Johnson & Johnson Medical Device Companies (JJMDC) Industrial Design and Human Factors (IDHF) organization is seeking a visionary, accomplished, user-centered Director, IDHF who is passionate about improving the quality of people's lives through compelling design experiences. This position will be located in our Medical Device campus in Somerville, NJ or Cincinnati, OH.
The Johnson &
Johnson Medical Devices Companies have been working to make surgery better for
more than a century. With substantial breadth and depth in surgical
technologies, orthopaedic and interventional solutions, we aspire to improve
and enhance medical care for people worldwide. Together, we are working to
shape the future of health through differentiated products and services.
The Director, Industrial Design & Human Factors will embrace the various roles this position requires consisting of Usability Champion, Research-driven Innovator, Brand Ambassador, Strategic Design Leader, and People Manager:
- Embrace human-centered design methodologies to identify what makes a product intuitive-to-use. Observe and interact within a clinical environment to identify and eliminate potential use errors early in the development process. Leverage insights to inspire others to think more empathically.
- Provide creative design leadership that uncovers new product opportunities. Work with the IDHF team and our customers to gather, synthesize and translate user research into device concepts that advance surgical care.
- Possess a strong understanding of "how things work" with an innate interest in materials and process. Ability to visualize and create concepts that meet cost targets, project schedule, manufacturing processes and hospital procedures. Collaborate and evolve existing visual brand language, as well as contribute to future design strategies.
- Collaborate across J&J to help build a compelling and unique brand presence in our market. Apply creativity to help influence a brand that fuses great product design with customer experience aspirations.
- Optimize IDHF's ability to execute great design within a complex healthcare environment. Ability to make decisions affecting resources (people, cost, and time), possess broad project management skills, and the ability to adjust between big picture thinking and product level details.
- Active leadership across JJMDC IDHF on strategic planning, organization design, and implementation of design and usability approaches across multiple global locations.
- Management responsibility for organizational structure and
professional development of IDHF associates. Ensure associates have the
resources, information, training and support to meet their objectives in a
timely, competent and cost effective manner
- Responsibility and accountability for IDHF across multiple JJMDC franchises – involved in strategic influence and executional delivery of design related projects and programs that aim to grow the business and delight our customers.
- Directing the development of IDHF strategy throughout JJMDC by partnering with the senior leadership teams to define strategy, success criteria, responsibilities, and appropriate resource allocation within the business units.
- Ensuring IDHF teams implement, support & deliver business results consistent with the JJMDC business strategy.
- Providing focus & direction for creation, planning, & implementation of strategic design philosophies associated with corporate identity, new product development, human factors & the design process throughout JJMDC.
- Budget ownership/management and resource allocation
- Strong collaboration with other leaders across the IDHF organization on strategic programs.
- A BS/BA in Industrial Design, Human Factors, or related degree is required
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience is required
- Excellent visual communication skills using traditional tools and digital media are required
- Relevant experience leading multi-disciplinary product development teams and external partners is required
- Global design management and product development experience is required
- Advanced business acumen and strong strategic mindset is required
- Self-directed activities focusing on development of product line strategies, multi-generational strategic plans, planning flexible department structures & supporting change as corporate structure evolves. Able to achieve a balance of daily departmental operation & individual work load is required
- Demonstrated ability to effectively recruit, develop, manage and coach associates to strengthen organizational capabilities is required
- Corporate Design experience with a proven track record is preferred
- Experience with department administration, including operating within expense & capital budgets is preferred
- Experience with the design and development of healthcare products, regulated industry, surgical procedures/experiences, and knowledge of hospital environments are preferred
- Additional skills and hands-on experiences that augment the design process is preferred (e.g., Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Graphic Design, Information Design, Interaction Design, Mechanical Engineering, Clinical Experience…etc.)
- This position may require up to 25% travel and will be located in Cincinnati, OH or Somerville, NJ
For consideration, please submit a PDF, or provide link to web-based, portfolio that demonstrates successful products, an established creative process and proficiency with design and prototyping methodologies.
Do you strive to join an outstanding team that is dynamic and
ever-changing? Is career growth and opportunity appealing to you? Apply to this
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-United States-New Jersey-Somerville, United States-Ohio-Cincinnati
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)