Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Compound Development Team Leader
Spring House, Pennsylvania
Requisition ID: 2485190816
At Janssen Immunology, our vision is to restore health for the millions of patients living with immune disease. Our approach to achieving this aspirational vision is systematic and evidence-driven. We start with deep insights to unmet medical needs. We then align distinct immune pathways insights against these unmet needs. Our ultimate goal is rebalancing the immune system to achieve long-term remission. With unrivaled insights into the diseases of greatest unmet need and actionable science, we have established an industry-leading Immunology portfolio.
The CDTL leads a cross-functional matrix compound development team to create a vision and strategy for their asset and drive execution of the compound strategy. The CDTL champions the project(s) at all levels of J&J through providing clear communication, creative strategic approaches to development and securing appropriate resources.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Lead the development and execution of the compound development strategy for multiple programs, creating a vision for their compound, including identifying potential indications to be pursued and sequencing of these indications.
• Assembles and leads a CDT with representation from appropriate functional partners, for the creation of a Development Plan that provides a thorough and clear asset strategy, integrating input from all functional areas, identifying key development issues and the strategic approach to each, with associated timelines and budgets, offering clarity on alternative pathways and tradeoffs considered.
o Creates the target product profile in collaboration with commercial, market access and clinical groups, and adjust this profile as new information and insights are gained
o Drives decision-making on compound strategy, ensuring relevant research, analysis, competitive data, and expertise are taken into account.
o Leads discussions at the CDT to reach decisions, including making final decisions when full consensus cannot be reached.
o Challenges functional representatives to ensure that all issues and questions are being addressed, and that functional area input into the strategy is adequate to meet the needs of the compound
o Manages the complexity of internal/external development activities and proactively identifies issues and risks while leading contingency planning and problem solving at early stages of development.
o Ensures development and implementation of optimal IP, publication and regulatory strategies to protect asset value.
o Collaborates closely with the PML on the asset to plan fit-for-purpose resources (FTEs and budget) to deliver the program and ensure adequate project resource utilization and budget management, providing clarity and transparency on changes and potential tradeoffs.
o Mentors and coaches assigned team members to lead sub-teams and other Development Programs as required.
• Ensures alignment with Leadership and executes on feedback with regard to Go/NoGo decisions, timelines, key studies, resource allocations and budgets, valuations and prioritization.
• Presents strategic issues and phase transition proposals at governance boards.
• Focuses on pipeline value rather than only project value – can balance role as team leader with commitment to maximizing portfolio value – willing to support Go decisions and appropriately come to NoGo decisions
• Plays an active role as a member of the CDTL community to help lead and devise strategies for key strategic initiatives and talent development across the Portfolio.
• Represents the CDT on various cross functional committees.
• Leads cross functional/therapeutic area/company initiatives outside of CDT.
• Participates in portfolio/strategy committees within the DAS/TA.
• Deep understanding of the unmet need addressed by the asset; scientific/disease areas expertise as well as expertise in current and innovative therapeutic development paradigms
• Ability to integrate all cross functional disciplines into a successful strategy
• Understanding of requirements for successful commercialization of a new product, including payer landscape across different geographies
• Strong problem-solving skills for developing creative solutions and meeting project objectives
• Influence, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to influence without clear reporting authority
• Demonstrated ability of strategic thinking and contingency planning
• Strategic Agility: Understanding big picture for compound and Janssen portfolio, translating scientific and business concepts into short- and long-term deliverables and managing ambiguity, making decisions with incomplete data
• Advanced Degree (Ph.D., M.D., Pharm.D.,MBA) with at least 10 years of pharmaceutical industry experience is required
• Experience in a leadership role as part of a research-driven pharmaceutical company is required
• Experience in cross-functional team leadership, including strategy development and driving tactical delivery of programs
• Experience with clinical development in Immunology is preferred
• Alliance management experience is preferred
• Demonstrated influence, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, including the ability to influence with clear reporting authority are required
• Outstanding leadership, influence, and communication skills are required
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)