Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Mechanical Testing and Analysis Engineer
Requisition ID: 2450180528
Depuy Synthes Spine, Inc a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Engineer in Raynham, MA. This position will be based in Raynham, MA.
Individual contributes with limited oversight to the design characterization, verification and risk assessment of spinal implants and instrumentation. This includes communication with multiple disciplines, understanding of clinical issues, defining the clinically relevant testing parameters and applicable industry standards, and ensuring results are provided to the teams.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior Engineer will be responsible with limited oversight for the mechanical testing aspects of a project, participating on cross-functional project team through all phases of the product development process, and assisting the technical team with planning executing, documenting and communicating testing activities: These activities include:
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Active contribute and review test plans and risk assessments (DFMEA)
- Plan, direct, and conduct laboratory and field testing of products
- Author test protocols & reports to meet industry (ASTM) & company standards
- Conduct the testing including
- configuration of hardware (Instron, MTS)
- software (Partners, Bluehills) to meet testing requirements
- Document lab activities utilizing good documentation practices (GDP)
- Analysis of data using statistical tools and Six Sigma Design Tools (Gauge R&R)
- Ability to work with Quality, Product Development or Manufacturing Engineers
- Design & direct construction of test systems to simulate use for verification & durability testing
- Assess the effect of design changes on mechanical performance
- Solve technical problems related to fixturing, test methodology, unexpected failures and challenging test setups
- Design fixturing & testing layouts utilizing CAD tools
- Be involved with complaint investigation utilizing fracture analysis techniques including SEM work and create technical documentation of the investigation.
- Mentor other engineers in testing technique and documentation as needed
- Clearly and professionally communicate test findings, technical challenges, and proposed resolutions to teams and management
- Others duties as requested
The candidate should demonstrate proficiency in supporting the cross functional team with aspects of the project management functions including scope definition, and contingency planning. The candidate should have a demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload, exhibit strong written and verbal communication skills and interface effectively with project teams, management and surgeons. The individual will also be expected to develop a working knowledge of our product lines and detailed knowledge of various spinal pathologies.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or related Engineering filed is required.
- A Master’s Degree is desired. Electrical and Mechanical Experience preferred
- A minimum of 4 years of test engineering experience or equivalent is required.
- Competence in static and cyclic testing, data acquisition, and general test engineering methodologies. Knowledge of ASTM Standards preferred. Experience in testing embedded systems preferred.
- Experience with medical devices (Spine or Orthopedic) is highly preferred.
- Strong track record utilizing statistics is a must. Experience with Design Excellence/ Six Sigma methodologies such as Gauge R&R and DOE is preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of various types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, and test equipment are required
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, project etc) is required. Proficiency in Mini-Tab is preferred.
- CAD skills in Unigraphics or Pro-E desirable
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, and/ or product teams, and work effectively as a team member with in the research and testing group.
- The ability to review and critically assess testing documentation and laboratory documentation is a must.
- Ability to multitask with excellent attention to detail.
- This position will be based in Raynham, MA.
- Up to 10% travel may be required.
If you want to explore the many small-company environments behind the big-company impact of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, bid on this position today.
DePuySynthes Products Inc (6149)
R&D Engineering (R&D)