Johnson & Johnson Careers
R&D ASSOCIATE DESIGN ENGINEER - SOFTWARE, SURGICAL ROBOTICS
Requisition ID: 2408180920
Ethicon Endo- Surgery, Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a R&D Product Design Engineer, located in Cincinnati, OH.
The Ethicon business offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Ethicon combines products and services of two market-leading legacy companies, both with long histories of medical innovation. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery. Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc. was created 20 years ago in Cincinnati, Ohio, developing innovative devices that have driven the revolutionary shift from open to minimally invasive surgery that continues to lead the industry today.
Our R&D team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development pipeline and transforming patient care through innovation. Our Design Engineer executes specific & general assignments/projects that provide innovative, functional, cost effective & validated product designs in a team based environment. This is an opportunity for a key role in bringing exciting new products to market to support the J&J / Google robotics venture. Ground-floor position to help grow and build a new J&J business unit, enabling significant professional growth.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support three sub-teams— Test equipment, Test software, and IT infrastructure— within the Digital Surgery Franchise at Ethicon.
- Support the following phases of equipment development – equipment requirements, design reviews, supplier management throughout fabrication / assembly / wiring, factory acceptance, safety reviews, troubleshooting, calibrations, qualifications, software validation, and documentation
- Contribute to a dynamic, fast-paced team and lead projects to support the overall testing strategy as an individual.
- Align cross-functionally on software and software validation strategies and lead the execution in these areas
- Architect, develop, validate and document software or IT infrastructure across a range of programming languages
- Apply knowledge of general software engineering principles to test product design requirements.
- Work one-on-one with internal stakeholders to identify software and IT opportunities and evaluate potential technical solutions.
- Provide innovative product, system, component and equipment design solutions.
- Assist in developing & monitoring project plan, budget, contingency plans & work estimation.
- Learn medical terminology, procedures & instrumentation.
- Provide peer feedback & may mentor junior associates as required.
- Ability to transition into a variety of Engineering roles within Design or Development after working within the Test Equipment & Infrastructure Team within 1-3 years.
- Develop/Test embedded software for the low-level control of robotic testing machines
- Develop high-level software applications to carry out automated testing of medical robotic tools
- Design and implement modular and scalable software architectures that enable engineering teams to plug in new modules as more testing needs arise
- Other responsibilities may be assigned & not all responsibilities listed may be assigned.
Design Engineer – Software is responsible for acting as a team member on
product development projects conducting various assignments in cooperation with
direction of team & team leader.
- BS or MS engineering degree (preferably Computer Science or Engineering Discipline with required Software Development experience), minimum of 1 year of design-related experience, including co-op or college internships, required,
- Experience in medical device or regulated industry working in a team base environment, preferred.
- Experience with a variety of programming languages and applications (e.g. Python, C++ and QT) is required
- Knowledge of common software engineering paradigms (generic programming and object-oriented programming) is required
- Experience with Inter-Process communication via UDP/TCP sockets, or Shared Memory and Mapped Files is preferred
- Experience with distributed versioning control systems such as Git is preferred
- Experience designing and debugging multi-threading and multi-processing applications is preferred
- Knowledge of Inter-Process communication via UDP/TCP sockets, Shared Memory and Mapped Files is preferred.
- Demonstrated technical leadership capabilities with experience working in a cross-functional team environment is preferred.
- Experience working with Vendors and Suppliers is preferred.
- Basic knowledge & understanding of medical regulatory requirements is preferred
- Technical writing experience with protocols, testing results, procedures, status & special reports is preferred
- Project management skills are preferred
- Knowledge & understanding of medical regulations & their impact on business, ISO (International Organization for Standardization) & GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) are preferred
- Quality, statistical process controls are preferred
- Effective team interpersonal skills are required
- Conflict analysis & resolution are required
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)