Johnson & Johnson Careers
Staff R&D Engineer – Customer Innovations
Requisition ID: 2303180524
Biosense Webster, Inc (BWI), a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Staff R&D Engineer – Customer Innovations, to be located in Irwindale, California.
Hi-Tech meets Medical Devices at Biosense Webster! If you want to work with brilliant people in a fast paced environment, help make a huge difference in patient's lives and want to be responsible for providing the most innovative technology in the field of cardiac electrophysiology, then Biosense Webster is the place for you! Our vision and mission are clear - be #1 in rhythm solutions globally and cure AF (Atrial Fibrillation), the most common heart arrhythmia. Our products are used by prominent physicians around the world and help improve thousands of patient's lives. Simply put, we are a highly innovative entrepreneurial company with a truly global and diverse culture, backed with the support structure of the Johnson & Johnson Corporation - quite a winning combination! Our commitment to quality and our Credo have helped us achieve significant milestones as a company.
Biosense Webster is the world leader in the $2.5 billion worldwide electrophysiology market and our company is in the enviable position of being one of the fastest growing businesses within Johnson & Johnson. We have achieved double digit growth consistently over the last decade and aren’t stopping as we look towards the future. Our product portfolio remains strong and further proves we are an innovative leader in cardiac electrophysiology. In order to continue this great growth trajectory, we need to bring on board top talent like you to help fuel our future! Our growth has also enabled a relentless focus on talent development by providing many new opportunities for our employees to expand their knowledge and grow their careers. Our commitment to developing our leaders is unwavering. Our investment in people, technology, and innovation make us one of the best places to work within one of the most admirable corporations in the world.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- The Staff R&D Engineer will provide lead technical support for identifying and screening new products and opportunities driven by Biosense Webster customers.
- This individual works on most assignments with instructions about the general results expected. This individual is responsible for prototype design and performing feasibility assessments at a rapid pace.
- S/he is able to translate ideas and concepts into functioning prototypes and assess feasibility of concepts. S/he may receive technical guidance on the most unusual or complex problems, but independently determines and develops approaches to solutions.
- This individual works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Erroneous decisions or recommendations or failure to get results would normally result in serious program/project delay and considerable expenditure or resources.
- The Staff R&D Engineer applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- This individual makes decisions independently on engineering problems and methods, and represents the organization in conferences to resolve important questions and to plan and coordinate work.
- The Senior R&D Engineer position requires the use of advanced techniques and the modification and extension of theories, precepts and practices of his/her field and related sciences and disciplines.
- Supervision and guidance related largely to overall requirements, critical issues, new concepts, and policy matters. This individual will consult with supervisor concerning unusual problems and developments.
- S/he in a supervisory capacity, plans, develops, coordinates, and directs a large important engineering project or a number of small projects with many complex features.
- This individual, as an individual researcher, carries out complex or novel assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques or procedures.
- This individual’s work is expected to result in the development of new or improved techniques or procedures. This individual’s work is expected to result in the development of new or refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or methods.
- As staff specialist, the Staff R&D Engineer develops and evaluates plans and criteria for a variety of projects and activities to be carried out by others.
- S/he assesses the feasibility and soundness of proposed engineering evaluation tests, products or equipment when necessary data are insufficient or confirmation by testing is advisable.
- S/he performs as a staff consultant on a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function.
- S/he is expected to work hands-on in a laboratory to both prototype and evaluate feasibility of prototypes.
- This individual will interface with physicians and will be required to travel 10-20%. This individual is expected to thoroughly document all work.
- The Senior R&D Engineer may technically supervise, coordinate and review the work of a small staff of engineers and technicians, estimates manpower needs and schedules and assigns work to meet completion date, or, as individual researcher or staff specialist may be assisted on projects by other engineers or technicians.
- S/he practices company safety and quality policies and procedures. The position actively requires conformance.
- The Staff R&D Engineer is responsible for ensuring personal and company compliance with all Federal, State, local and company regulations, policies and procedures.
- This individual is responsible for the purchase or design of equipment that meets health, safety and environmental standards set by the company.
- S/he is responsible for performing design reviews and pre-validation assessments to ensure the safe and environmentally sound start-up of new processes.
- S/he is responsible for communicating business related issues or opportunities to next management level.
- This individual is responsible for ensuring subordinates follow all Company guidelines related to Health, Safety and Environmental practices and that all resources needed to do so are available and in good condition.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineer or relevant discipline combined with 6 years of related engineering experience is required.
- An Advanced Degree, MS, and/or PhD is preferred.
- The successful candidate should have significant complex level engineering experience. Experience in the medical device, and/or pharma, and/or life science/biotech industry is required.
- Experience in the medical device industry – catheter manufacturing, electrophysiology industry is preferred and a plus.
- The successful candidate must possess a clear mastery of theoretical and practical fundamentals and experimental engineering techniques.
- Strong English communication skills, written and oral are required.
- The successful candidate must be proficient in SolidWorks or equivalent program.
- The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate a proven track record of leading design work and proving feasibility for manufacturing transfer of design.
- Medical device design experience is a plus or similar work within a regulated industry.
- The successful candidate must demonstrate a knowledge base of various manufacturing methods used in the industry.
- The position is located in Irwindale, CA and may require <20% travel.
Biosense Webster Inc. (6010)