Johnson & Johnson Careers
SR MANAGER - R&D DEVELOPMENT ENGINEERING (1 of 3)
Requisition ID: 2271180525
Ethicon Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson’s Medical Device sector, is recruiting for (3) Senior Manager positions for our Research & Development activity in Cincinnati, Ohio. Two of these new positions will report into the Ethicon Energy/EndoMechanical business unit while the third will report into the Digital Surgery business unit.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, energy devices, clip appliers, trocars, and surgical robotic systems - that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity.
Our team of engineers, designers and technical experts are in the forefront of technology in the medical device industry. You will be making a vital contribution to the New Product Development (NPD) pipeline by developing world class assembly processes and components for our device platforms. As a leader of our Development Engineering staff, assigned to one of the platforms mentioned above, you will work with the NPD teams, component suppliers, equipment integrators, and internal/external manufacturing sites to develop robust component designs and manufacturing processes that meet or exceed all product requirements at the lowest possible manufacturing cost. This is an opportunity for a key leadership role to help bring exciting new products to market in support our mission, Shaping the Future of Surgery.
The Senior Manager, R&D Development Leader will perform these key tasks in their assigned platform:
- Management of a diverse team of development engineering talent who’s focus areas include: plastic components, metal components, electrical sub-assemblies and custom assembly equipment
- Resource allocation to support the NPD activities within their assigned platform
- Talent development, recruiting, and performance management
- Demonstrate, mentor, and foster a spirit of cooperation and encourage partnering with multiple internal and external groups
- Strategic assessment of the manufacturing technologies needed to deliver the platform’s future needs, creation and execution of technology development plans, and introduction into future NPD projects
- Oversight, refinement, and improvement of the component/assembly process development methodologies within the greater Ethicon business
- Oversight and strengthening of the technical relationship with the supply base including capability building, issue resolution, and ultimate project execution
- Assurance that the processes developed by their teams meet and/or exceed all established requirements and that NPD projects are de-risked to the greatest degree possible prior to launch
- Support of NPD project teams during planning, cost estimation, supplier selection, execution, launch, and ultimate stabilization
- A Bachelor’s of Science in an engineering discipline or a related technical degree is required.
- An advanced engineering degree or MBA is preferred.
- A minimum of (8) years of post-collegiate work experience is required.
- A minimum of (5) years in a medical device or other highly regulated industry required.
- A minimum of (5) years of indirect support of manufacturing operations or a minimum of (3) years of direct support is required.
- A minimum of (2) years of managerial experience of salaried engineering employees is preferred.
- A minimum of (4) years of experience in a New Product Development (NPD) environment is required.
- Prior product launch experience is preferred.
- Experience in a cross-functional, matrixed project team environment (Quality, Design, and Development) is preferred.
- Extensive experience with Project Management methodologies and execution of project plans is required.
- Certification as a PMP (Project Management Professional) is preferred.
- Certification as a CSCP (Certified Supply Chain Professional - APICS) is preferred
- Certification as a Six Sigma Green or Black Belt is preferred
- Other preferred job skills:
- Strong business acumen (P&L ownership).
- Leadership skills; Judgment & decision-making skills; Organizing & planning; Interpersonal relationship building & influencing.
- Ability to balance schedules, work-loads, and change management of self and others.
- Project management skills; Conflict management; Problem analysis & resolution.
- Managing & developing others.
- Ability to form partnerships across organization bounds, within teams, and with external partners.
- Able to work in a changing environment (flexibility).
- Strategic planning/portfolio management.
Personal computer skills, Windows: word processing, project planning, presentation, e-mail & spreadsheet software. Understanding of information technology in order to allow utilization of new technologies to meet business objectives
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)