Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Director, Regional Financial Controller
Requisition ID: 2259190814
Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Senior Director, Regional Financial Controller, located in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Caring for the world, one person at a time, has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
With $81 billion in 2018 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices and diagnostics markets. There are more than 265 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing approximately 126,500 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Senior Director, Regional Financial Controller will lead, direct and advise on US GAAP and J&J’s worldwide policies and procedures interpretations, related to the financial accounting and reporting. Also provides other technical financial accounting guidance prior to local financial information is submitted to Corporate and to advise on significant financial transactions that are brought forward from the business. Incumbent will also be responsible to understand current financial accounting and reporting processes at the region that includes the financial accounting implications to complex judgments and processes while accounting for the changes in local laws to ensure they are aligned with overall Company Financial policies. The VP, Regional Financial Controller will be the lead point of contact for the Corporate Controller’s group in the region.
- Key business partner for cross sector and function local finance and business teams providing accounting and reporting guidance to ensure complex business transactions supporting regional strategies are accounted and reported properly in accordance with world-wide procedures. Projects can cover a wide range of accounting topics and policy matters as well as providing general accounting and reporting guidance to the regional GFS centers for non-standard transactions.
- Take ownership and accountability for the accounting and reporting requirements for the three sectors and various legal entities in Brazil including statutory financial statements.
- Key contact and intermediary along with local finance and business partners when interfacing with the external/internal auditors to ensure that all business transactions are aligned with both U.S. GAAP, local laws and internal Company policy.
- Participate in the balance sheet review process managed by the global service centers and ensure proper accounting judgments are applied and documented where needed including understanding the underlying operational and financial controls.
- Provide financial oversight, enforces a compliance mindset, advisement and application of accounting local financials statement methodologies consistent with Worldwide Procedures and SEC regulations and to ensure alignment with independent auditors.
- An excellent knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules, and regional regulations is required combined with the ability to research and propose company positions on complex accounting issues to regional business partners.
- Provide technical accounting and policy guidance to the various disciplines within the Region which can include Tax, Treasury, Business Development, Regional Global Services, L&A, Internal Audit and Supply Chain Finance teams among others. Ensure not only the technical aspects of guidance are provided but also work with teams to ensure the linkage is made operationally to ensure guidance provided is applied appropriately.
- Develop and provide local training when necessary and work with local finance and regional business partners to educate on new accounting guidance issued by regulators. Also provide refresher training on Worldwide Policies or other technical accounting and reporting matters especially in areas that may be challenging for teams to understand and consistently apply. Specific examples might include:
- Revenue Recognition –new accounting
- Licensing Arrangements – R&D accounting,
- Business Restructuring –Support the local financial to ensure proper US GAAP treatment of exit activities
- Financial Instruments, Currency matters and Hedging Transactions with Treasury
- PP&E Accounting
- Accrual Accounting – Local Legal accruals and local law requirements
- Expense versus Prepaid accounting
- Other new guidance issued and released by accounting standards bodies
- Exercise a high level of independent judgment requiring the ability to anticipate, interpret agreement provisions, evaluate and resolve accounting related questions in the execution of transactions by acting as the main interface in representing Corporate Controllers Organization by seeking input and alignment from Global Technical Accounting Advisory Service & Policy team for these types of special projects and ad-hoc questions.
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting or Finance is required.
- A CPA or CMA is required; an MBA is a plus.
- A minimum of 10 years of accounting/finance experience is required.
- Must possess excellent analytical, conceptual, communication and business partnering skills.
- Must work well in a dynamic, matrix style, complex environment and be able to recommend and implement process improvements, work independently and handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- This position requires advanced knowledge of technical accounting and related business applications.
- Prior people management experience, and a technical financial compliance background preferred.
- Strong knowledge/background of the following technical accounting areas is also preferred: Revenue Recognition; Business Combinations and Divestitures; Licensing Arrangements – R&D accounting; Business Restructuring; Financial Instruments, Currency matters and Hedging Transactions; PP&E Accounting and Expense versus Prepaid accounting.
- The ability to monitor and ensure timely identification and compliance with evolving accounting guidance, provide US GAAP interpretation and prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner required.
- Must be able to lead in providing measurable input and guidance to the business on special projects from a technical accounting perspective working and collaborating with cross functional teams in support of the successful completion of business transactions.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage well through ambiguity and complexity required.
- The ability to execute and follow-through to completion and ensure key documentation requirements are met is required.
- Must have the ability to have regular interaction with the following groups: Controllers Leadership Team, including Commercial Business Unit Finance Leaders, Treasury and Tax; External peers with similar roles at other global companies and professional association groups.
- The ability to read and speak Portuguese and Spanish is an asset.
- Up to approximately 25% travel may be required.
- This position is located in Sao Paulo, Brazil and report directly to the US Corporate Controller’s office.
Brazil-São Paulo-São Paulo-
J&J do Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Produtos para Saúde Ltda. (7600)
Planning & Analysis