Johnson & Johnson Careers
Senior Counsel, Product Liability (1 of 2 openings)
Requisition ID: 2256190418
The Johnson & Johnson Legal Department is recruiting for 2 mid-level Senior Counsels, Product Liability to be located at World Headquarters in New Brunswick, NJ.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $81.6 billion in 2018 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 250 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 125,000 people and with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The mid-level Senior Counsel will team with more experienced attorneys to provide analysis and advice on legal and policy issues; anticipate and guard against legal risks facing the company; develop and recommend policy and position on legal issues; keep the company and/or business units compliant by anticipating and helping to circumvent problems; counsel clients and keep them up to date on new business laws and regulations; provide advice on suits against the corporation; ensure that all standard operating procedures are current, accurate and complete and are being audited at least annually; and develop appropriate legal policies, procedures and guidelines.
The mid-level Senior Counsel will
• Assist in the management of a large portfolio of complex Product Liability litigations and some other litigation as assigned (Employment, commercial, consumer fraud or other)
• Assist in the coordination of outside national and local counsel in management of cases
• Work with company management and other personnel in support of litigation
• Review and advise operating companies on sensitive labeling, marketing, and liability issues and providing related training
• Participate in external activities relating to product liability and litigation such as IADC, DRI, ATRA, and PLAC.
• A Juris Doctor Degree and admission to and in good standing with at least one state bar is required.
• A minimum of 5 years of experience in defense of complex litigation is required.
• Experience handling aspects of pre-trial case preparation and management including discovery, witness preparation, writing and review of major briefs, selection and preparation of experts is required.
• Must be articulate and a collaborative manager and colleague.
• Must have very good judgment to assist in running the cases and managing outside Counsel.
• Approximately 30% travel, globally and domestically, is required.
• Pharmaceutical and medical device product liability experience is preferred.
• Experience in large scale mass tort type matters, particularly MDLs and state coordinated proceedings is preferred.
• In-house experience with a pharmaceutical or medical device company is an asset.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick-
Johnson & Johnson (6067)