Johnson & Johnson Careers
SUMMER INTERN NEUROSCIENCE
Requisition ID: 2256190109
Janssen Research and Development, LLC, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting a Neuroscience Summer Intern to carry research on causes and treatment of the neuropsychiatric diseases. The position is located in La Jolla, CA.
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C. develops treatments that improve the health and lifestyles of people worldwide. Research and development areas encompass novel targets in neurologic disorders, gastroenterology, oncology, infectious disease, diabetes, hematology, metabolic disorders, immunologic disorders, and reproductive medicine.
Our Neuroscience Team discovers medicines to treat neuropsychiatric diseases – especially mood disorders like major depressive disorder or bipolar depression. This opening will provide students with an opportunity to become a part of our team, learn about the drug development process hands-on and contribute to improving the health of people worldwide.
The Summer Intern will:
- Be involved in a project focusing of novel targets for treatment of mood disorders
- Learn about theoretical and practical aspects of neuroscience drug discovery including planning, execution, analysis and reporting of the results of the research.
- Perform day-to-day experiments involving cell culture, cloning, RNA, DNA and protein isolation, transient transfection, cell-based assays (e.g. Ca2+ flux assays), immunoassays (e.g. Western Blot and immunohistochemistry), manual and automated electrophysiology as well as other in vitro assays.
- Present the project’s background, aims and results at the department meetings.
- Develop scientific problem-solving skills in a vibrant, multidisciplinary drug discovery team.
- Candidates must be enrolled in an accredited college/university pursuing a degree in biology, physiology, pharmacology, biophysics, neuroscience or biomedical sciences.
- Candidates must be available to work Full-time.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Candidates with practical experience with experimental work in biological lab, especially involving cell culture, biophysics and/or molecular biology techniques are a strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership is preferred.
- Candidates must have the ability to work individually (independently) as well as on a team.
- Candidates must be detail-oriented, highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks.
- Candidates need to be proficient with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel (including a high proficiency with generating pivot tables and graphs), and Power Point, and have strong oral and written communication skills. Additional technical competencies in Sharepoint and other information technology systems are highly desirable, as is experience with PubMed databases and other literature databases.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 is strongly preferred.
- Participation in campus/community service activities is desired.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-California-San Diego-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)