Johnson & Johnson Careers
Director Capital Projects & Strategic Initiatives – JLABS
Requisition ID: 2253190508
Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS (“JLABS”) is a division of Johnson & Johnson Innovation (“JJI”) and is a network of life science incubators providing emerging companies many of the advantages of being in a big company, without the capital investment.
JLABS offers singular bench tops, modular wet lab units and office space on a short-term basis, allowing companies to pay only for the space they need, with an option to quickly expand when they have the resources to do so. Companies residing at JLABS also have access to core research labs hosting specialized capital equipment and shared administrative areas.
JLABS is recruiting for a Director Capital Projects & Strategic Initiatives role that can be located in either San Francisco or San Diego.
This Director of Capital Investments and Partnerships is responsible for setting the strategic direction for the planning and execution of JLABS Capital Projects and Strategic Initiatives. The individual provides leadership, expertise and partnership development in support of the expansion of J&J’s external incubator program. The individual will lead internal and external collaboration efforts to ensure corporate compliance while sustaining a capital efficient business model able to support early-stage life science, medical device, diagnostic and consumer companies. The position will also lead strategic transformational initiatives focused on improving organizational effectiveness, efficiency and the ability to scale.
- Responsible for providing leadership and oversight across multiple highly visible, complex, cross-functional programs, projects, and workstreams, including developing and managing business cases, scope definition, program plans, roadmaps, change management plans, risk management plans, implementing governance, developing program management standards, and driving business process transformation
- Accountable for full program lifecycle including scope, schedule, budgets, and outcomes/benefit realization while ensuring quality control and meeting all applicable corporate, JLABS, partner, and government standards and regulatory requirements
- Develop standardized tools, procedures/playbooks and best practice methodologies for project management and execution
- Present program updates to leadership, key stakeholders and project teams
- Responsible cradle to grave for JLABS Capital Projects
- Responsible for coordination and oversight during the planning, design and construction phase of design consultants, architects, construction firms, and other contractors
- Accountable for capital and expense budgets, driving cost reductions, cost efficiencies, and optimized contractor management.
- Shared P&L responsibility for overall business unit and individual sites
- In collaboration with Company Sourcing, develop/adapt the pricing models for new and existing locations
- Lead the design and construction of new facility capital improvement projects beginning from initial appropriation requests to building commissioning in partnership with Finance and WWE&TO.
- Engage potential industry partners to identify new opportunities for collaboration that expand program capabilities and maintain leading edge
- Oversee negotiations for license agreements, amendments and specialty equipment use agreements.
- Lead with functional owners and legal counsel, the development and negotiation of key strategic partnerships/collaborations including equipment, service and supply agreements
- Manage complex contract negotiations and coordinate/collaborate with internal and external legal counsel, as needed.
- Lead, motivate, inspire and encourage the team.
- BS/BA is required
- MBA or equivalent advanced degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of related business, operations management, or scientific experience in the Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry is required
- Experience overseeing EH&S programs is preferred
- Experience managing others - is preferred
- PMP/FPX certification (or equivalent) - is preferred
- Demonstrated experience leading cross functional teams and developing new programs is preferred
- Track record of leading capital improvement projects > $10MM - is preferred
- Successful experience in a fast-paced entrepreneurial lab environment is preferred
- Possesses strong analytical and quantitative modeling skills - is preferred
- Successful experience leading change management initiatives - is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills - is preferred
- Broad understanding of facilities management and building engineering systems is preferred
- Proven success within a highly matrixed organization - is preferred
United States-California-South San Francisco-
North America-United States-California-San Diego
J&J Innovation LLC (6205)