Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. EHSS Engineer
Environmental Health & Safety
Requisition ID: 2201190812
Johnson & Johnson Surgical Vision (JJSV) is recruiting for a Senior EHSS Engineer to be located in Milpitas, CA. JJSV Milpitas designs, manufactures, and distributes equipment products for Refractive and Cataract surgery.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We value research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in healthcare to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
JJSV's goal is improving sight throughout a patient’s lifetime. J&J Surgical Vision is well positioned to address a full range of vision health needs for global markets: The No. 2 global provider of CATARACT products and a leader in presbyopia-correcting IOLs, the Global REFRACTIVE (LASIK) market leader, all supported with a CONSUMER EYE HEALTH diverse portfolio of solutions and drops.
JJSV has operations in the United States, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Europe/Middle East/Africa regions. Research, innovation and new-product development are the focus of our organization. Our associates around the world are committed to expanding our brands and fortifying our position as the worldwide leader in the industry.
Responsible for leading the Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability (EHS&S) Compliance Monitoring Programs to build a proactive Safety culture. To ensure a high level of EHS&S performance for the site. Provide technical expertise for all EHS&S programs, machine safety, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, contractor safety, and emergency preparedness. Drive environmental compliance programs for waste management, water programs, and air emissions. Under the direction of the EHS&S Manager, the candidate will support all aspects of the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Management System at the Milpitas site as well as other J&J locations in Northern California. Responsible for ensuring the local facility EHS&S operations are in compliance with federal, state, and local EHS regulations, as well as Johnson & Johnson EHS&S Standards including Management of Change. This EHS&S Professional will work closely with various internal and external stakeholders.
• Strong leadership, analytical, and communications skills.
• Partner with local management to develop and implement a site CAPA process to address EHS program deficiencies and ensure EHS regulatory compliance.
• This position ensures that top management and employees are in compliance with the rules and regulations of regulatory agencies and that company policies and procedures are followed.
• Serve as an influential member of the site leadership team, who impacts decision making and takes an active role in promoting cross-site initiatives, team work and collaboration across site functions.
• Bring global best practices into the site and actively share site perspective, knowledge and lessons learned to contribute and support a best-in-class professional level of EHS&S globally.
• Review, update, develop required EHS&S programs including but not limited to: IIPP, HMBP, HAZCOM, EAP, SOPs, LOTO/HECP, Confined Space Programs, Fire Prevention Programs, Lab Safety, Hot Works Program, Warehouse Safety and Chemical Inventory.
• Utilize Document Management System to initiate (Author) and/or review SOPs required for operations.
• Evaluate, plan, implement, and manage appropriate occupational safety, machine safety, industrial hygiene, ergonomics, and emergency preparedness program components, including development and delivery of training materials; manage projects/programs from identification of potential risk to analysis of the level of risk to the implementation of appropriate control measures.
• Perform ergonomic risk assessments; conduct machine safety risk assessments; and develop job safety analysis for automated and manual job functions.
• Supports responses to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, by evaluating and recommending the initiation of investigative procedures. Performs analysis for reporting of violations or potential violations to duly authorized enforcement agencies and Johnson & Johnson's corporate offices as appropriate and/or required.
• Maintain regulatory calendar (permits, and regulatory fees).
• Perform routine EHS&S assessments; utilize the J&J Comprehensive Audit, and Self Assessments to identify program specific deficiencies and areas of risk. Successful candidate will be expected to collaborate with site management to implement corrective measures. Lead incident investigations for all reported injuries, including First Aid and Good Saves.
• Evaluate facilities compliance with federal, state, local EHS regulations and J&J Corporate EHS&S Standards. The successful candidate will be expected to develop and establish Operational Procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and corporate standards. The EHS&S professional will track and report key performance indicators and metrics.
• Evaluate, plan and implement EHS&S training and awareness programs. Review, revise, develop and implement training packages for on-line and/or classroom training.
• Develop EHS&S objectives for the site - auditing, analyzing, documenting, and reporting on their implementation and effectiveness to management via dashboards & reports.
• Monitor and evaluate EHS&S risks of operations, including change management, ensuring continuous improvement of the EHS&S program to make it leaner and more efficient.
• Perform responsibilities in the area of managing and/or handling hazardous waste. Responsibilities include identifying type of waste, containerizing, labeling, shipping, emergency response initiation and/or coordination.
• Provides upper management with ongoing consultation pertaining to environmental, health and safety regulations identifying the impacts of changes to regulations on key business objectives.
• Maintain local ISO 14001 certifications by ensuring site EHS&S management systems are aligned & maintained consistent with ISO and/or program standards.
• Monitor EHS&S performance through the use of leading Key Performance Indicators and supporting data trending. Take action to investigate and correct as trends shift.
• Based on operations and EH&S risk profiles establishes and implements a strategy for management of EH&S compliance, risks, and safety culture.
• Monitor developing federal, state, and local regulatory requirements and initiatives; analyze potential impacts; provide practical recommendations and risk analyses.
• Coach, and develop all employees for proper application of company safety policies and procedures.
• Develop trusted and proactive relationships with regulatory agencies, local community and external suppliers to ensure compliance with all applicable requirements.
• Fosters an atmosphere of openness and information sharing in order to encourage a culture of high awareness, transparency and diligence with respect to EHS&S matters.
• Actively model, coach and engage employees to ensure safe conditions (ergonomics) and actions (behaviors) in all applicable functional work areas. Proactively correct identified hazards to prevent incidents and injuries.
• Facilitate and support daily/weekly/monthly EHS&S meetings.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree is required
• Bachelors in Environmental, Health and Safety, business, or engineering is preferred
• Master’s degree in business administration or other discipline related to manufacturing, business or operations is preferred
• Minimum 6 years of EHS&S experience is required
• Experience in a Manufacturing and R&D setting/environment is preferred
• Experience in the following areas is preferred
o 6 Sigma certification desired
o AQMD (Air Quality Management District)
o EPA (Environmental Protections Agency)
o DTSC (Department of Toxic Substances Control)
o CUPA (Certified Unified Program Agency)
• Technical experience in diverse EHS&S areas including but not limited to air, water, hazardous and medical waste, machine safety, industrial hygiene and chemical handling is highly desirable
• Demonstrated project management skills are required and individual must have technical/working knowledge of federal, state and local regulations is required
• Excellent influencing, negotiating, planning, organizational, and time management skills are required.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills are required
• The ability to work in a team environment is required
• The ability to produce & maintain project schedules & budgets is required
• The ability to interface with associates & local, state & federal inspectors is required
• Experience is required in identifying, evaluating and controlling EHS risks in the workplace is required
• Ability to quickly interpret complex regulatory issues and provide recommended course of action is required
• Proficiency in MS Office software programs including SharePoint, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required
• J&J Worldwide EHS &S data reporting and tracking systems is preferred
• Internet, intranet and database tools (internal and external) as needed to support the EHS&S function is required
• This role is located in Milpitas, CA and the ability to travel up to 20% both domestically and internationally is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
AMO Manufacturing USA, LLC (6240)
Environmental Health & Safety