Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Director, R&D Front-End Endomechanical & Energy Innovation: Ethicon, Inc.
R&D Engineering (R&D)
Requisition ID: 2143190417
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc. member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is currently recruiting for a Sr. Director, R&D Front-End Endomechanical & Energy Innovation, located in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Ethicon offers a broad range of products, platforms and technologies—including sutures, surgical staplers, clip appliers, trocars and synthetic mesh devices—that are used in a wide variety of minimally invasive and open surgical procedures. Specialties include support for treatment of colorectal and thoracic conditions, women’s health conditions, hernias, cancer and obesity. Ethicon, Inc. based in Somerville, New Jersey, was founded more than 80 years ago as a pioneer in suture development and manufacturing, helping to transform the safety and effectiveness of open surgery.
The Sr. Director will be part of the Energy and Endomechanical R&D Leadership team and will own the innovation strategy for the Energy and Endomechanical platforms and digital surgery solutions.
The Senior Director R&D, Front End Innovation is responsible for working closely with Global Strategic Marketing to co-create global organic and inorganic insight-driven innovation strategies. The Sr. Director will lead the R&D team through the early stages of assessing internal and external technologies strategies and transition solutions to the R&D Product Development organization.
The primary responsibilities include:
- Co-create the external and internal innovation strategies by partnering with Global Strategic Marketing to uncover and translate customer and technical insights, unmet needs and trends into a 5-10-year Innovation Strategy.
- Integrate the Innovation Strategy into the Strategic Plan, including financial growth and investment targets and align with key stakeholders and executive leadership.
- Create new operating models for populating inorganic and organic front end pipeline.
- Exceptional collaboration and partnering with R&D, Robotics, Global Strategic Marketing, Medical Affairs, and Business Development.
- Lead team in solution and technology assessments.
- Develop diverse R&D team with front end assessment expertise and interdisciplinary mindset.
- Develop team skills in complex collaborations and deal design/assessments.
- Lead and inspire an insights-driven culture of innovation, enabling Ethicon to bring more meaningful innovation to patients.
- Effectively plan and manage business plan budget
- Lead with compliance mindset and ensure all certifications/requirements for team are complete and up to date
- Support development of team, constantly assess capabilities, manage performance and attract best talent.
- Build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships at all levels throughout the organization.
- Bachelors’ degree required; Advanced Degree preferred (MA, PhD, MBA).
- A minimum of 15 years of innovation relevant experience required.
- A minimum of 5 years of successfully managing and developing talent required.
- Successful track record of identifying breakthrough innovation opportunities required.
- Balanced strategic thinking and execution capabilities required.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills required.
- Passion for customer centric, insight driven innovation required.
- Strong business acumen required.
- Demonstrated comfort in ambiguous environment required.
- Up to 20% Domestic and International travel required.
- Track record of successful business model innovations preferred.
- Start-up, tech scouting or VC experience preferred.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ethicon Endo Surgery Inc (6041)
R&D Engineering (R&D)