Johnson & Johnson Careers
Scientific Director, Discovery Chemistry
Requisition ID: 2129180523
Janssen Research & Development, LLC., a member of the J&J Family of Companies, is recruiting for an Scientific Director in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found.
Janssen Research & Development, LLC discovers and develops innovative medical solutions to address important unmet medical needs in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious diseases and vaccines, and cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The newly formed Discovery Chemistry group within Discovery & Manufacturing Sciences group is committed to the delivery of high quality drug candidates working with all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas (TA) discovery teams. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular and molecular pharmacology, enzymology, and screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners. Building on a strong legacy of success, we are currently seeking an outstanding individual to join our team as a Scientific Director.
This Scientific Director will lead a team of medicinal chemists based primarily at our Spring House, Pennsylvania research site. This Scientific Director will be responsible for:
- Small molecule clinical candidate discovery and optimization within Discovery Sciences, with a special emphasis on the development and application of small molecule drug discovery platform technologies to lead discovery.
- Working closely with the Discovery Chemistry leadership team to set the strategic direction for global medicinal chemistry platform technologies.
- In addition, this individual will interact closely with the J&J Innovation Centers to provide appropriate insights and expert diligence on promising opportunities in the external innovation environment.
- Provide cross-therapeutic area leadership for continued innovation in areas such as novel small molecule lead optimization strategies, target selection, hit & lead selection, and polypharmacology.
- This individual will actively recruit, mentor, and develop outstanding drug discovery scientists and create a culture of engagement, scientific rigor, and innovation.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in chemistry is required
- Post-doctoral experience obtained at an academic institution is preferred
- A minimum of 11 years of medicinal chemistry experience with a strong record of individual and team-level contributions to the discovery and development of multiple novel small molecule clinical compounds and/or approved drugs is required
- Recognized scientific expert in medicinal and synthetic organic chemistry supported with an outstanding record of high impact publications, oral presentations, and review articles is required
- Experience in overseeing and directing the day to day scientific activities of peers and junior staff, both internally and at CROs is required
- The capability to manage budgets and prioritize competing portfolio demands is required
- A record of success in partnering effectively with multiple, diverse types of research organizations, including academic institutions, contract research organizations, and public-private consortia is required
- Extensive experience with novel modalities for drug discovery; e.g., small/large molecule conjugates, non-oral delivery, etc.
- Direct experience with modern hit-discovery technologies such as Automated chemistry technologies, DNA-encoded library design and evaluation, Fragment-based lead discovery, Machine-learning directed lead optimization, Chemical biology/phenotypic screening, experience with PROTACs/degronsDNA-encoded is preferred
- Experience as a successful therapeutic program team (co)leader is required
- Substantial drug discovery experience in Oncology, Inflammation, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular, or Infectious Diseases is preferred
- Experience in managing ‘virtual’ and/or remote scientific team(s) based overseas is preferred
- An ability to provide chemistry drug discovery insights and objective assessment(s) to various stakeholders including colleagues in Discovery Sciences, the J&J Innovation Centers, and across multiple Therapeutic Areas
- Broad experience in the assessment of molecules identified from divergent small molecule screening campaigns with an ability to design and oversee execution of rational triage strategies to deliver tractable chemical leads to discovery teams
- An unparalleled ability to interact collegially with biology leaders and their discovery teams to set the strategic direction for TA portfolios to drive early discovery programs to critical decision points
- A desire to help enhance the profile of DS in the external scientific community as a partner of choice
- Strong networking skills with a desire to seek out novel opportunities and options for small molecule drug discovery
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)