Johnson & Johnson Careers
Sr. Director, Retina/Ophthalmology Biology Head, CVM
Requisition ID: 2018190416
Janssen R&D is currently recruiting for a Sr. Director, Retina/Ophthalmology Biology Head, CVM to be located in San Francisco, CA.
- Head of discovery pharmacology group with disease focus on ophthalmology/retinal diseases including Age-related macular degeneration, diabetic eye disease, and genetic eye disease.
- Supervising a group of in vitro and vivo scientists, responsible for design and execution of efficacy studies in relevant disease models.
- In cross-functional teams provides experimental data to build meaningful PK/PD relationships and demonstrate potential for translation to the human condition.
- Lead multiple complex programs and projects that deliver high quality scientific results
- Drives technical/intellectual leadership across programs/projects, TA and/or functions by developing breakthrough ideas and new approaches
- Acts as an internal expert with a direct impact on scientific and/or business objectives
- Has direct people management responsibilities but with a significant impact on teams/results. Will have direct leadership responsibilities of a team up to approximately 10.
- May have indirect or direct people management responsibility when leading programs/projects.
- Will contribute to hiring, promotions, pay adjustments, performance appraisals, development and other people related decisions
- Identifies scientists with potential for breakthrough insights and help them interact and explore adjacent fields, creating the opportunities for breakthroughs and creative ideas
- Acts as a scientific mentor for project teams and individuals
- Independently identifies and analyzes high-impact, complex and cross-departmental scientific/technical issues and gaps
- Stays ahead of the scientific/technical/therapeutic area by exploring new concepts, opportunities or disease areas with new thought processes
- Contributes to making scientific/technical decisions on the acquisition of new products/projects
- Responsible for building capabilities necessary for delivering on the strategy
- Responsible for creating an environment that encourages the growth and development of scientific team
- Cultivates a culture that embraces new ideas, approaches, concepts through scientific/technical leadership
- Influences across disciplines with senior leaders and external colleagues/partners to drive and align strategic and operational scientific activities between business units/functions
- Highly recognized and published individual who serves as a consultant across projects and represents J&J at external forums and advisory boards
- Drives and directs operational and strategic scientific activities by translating innovation and technically sound approaches to business application
- Sets and monitors priorities, budget, timeline and resources for own work/team/project
- Influences initiation, development and termination of projects in a timely manner
- Identifies, connects, and executes key external scientific partnerships to continuously enhance collaboration/research outcomes
- Conceptualization, creation and ideation
- Uses cutting-edge science and emerging developments to pioneer innovation and expand science
- Stays current on emerging research tools and approaches to bring new ideas to team
- Creates new procedures across research programs to streamline business practices
- Identifies and tests new procedures and technologies with a focus on innovative solutions/technology across projects and/or functions
- Develops breakthrough ideas to drive science
- Exhibits multiple examples of leadership/senior author role in technical presentations, scientific publications, documents for regulatory filing and journals across disciplines (encouraged to publish whenever possible)
- Directs others on proper documentation to protect J&J’s proprietary information
- Drives the review and approval of description of research documents for scientific team(s)
- Expands external scientific visibility and reputation of J&J by driving publications and leading scientific seminars and discussion forums
- Recognized as an expert in scientific field
- A Minimum of a Ph.D. degree with post-doctoral experience is required.
- A minimum of 12 + years of business experience or 3-5 years of business experience performing progressively advanced duties at the Scientist 7 level, or the equivalent training/experience is required
- Proven track record in leading a scientific team(s) and direct and/or indirect people management experience
- Maintains a leadership position in a scientific discipline (or disciplines) as recognized within the company and the outside scientific community. Has a strong publication record and experience presenting at scientific conferences
- May build intellectual property/novel approaches
- Recognized externally as an expert in the scientific field
United States-California-San Francisco-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)