Johnson & Johnson is a leading global health care company that develops, manufactures, and sells a diversified portfolio of health care products with worldwide sales in 2019 of $82.1 billion. We have over 260 operating companies conducting business in virtually all countries of the world. Our head office is based in New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA.
This role is an integral part of Japan Tax Center which delivers tax and statutory support across all Family of Companies in Japan. The Tax Center is responsible for corporate tax compliance (both direct and indirect) and US tax legal entity (LE) reporting as well as statutory reporting for all Johnson & Johnson legal entities in Japan.
- Directly reports to Senior Tax Manager; management lead for the cross-sector Tax Center in Japan; lead 3 FTE team to deliver expected results as well as develop them as tax professionals.
- Work closely with Business Unit Finance (BUF) of four sectors (Medical Device, Pharmaceutical, Vision, and Consumer), Local/Regional Global Services (GS) and Business Support Center of Excellence (BS CoE) within each business sector.
- Responsible for process oversight and review of direct tax filings and statutory reports within stipulated timelines.
- Ongoing assistance with the US LE reporting processes including liaison with GS and Global Tax team, making sure all deadlines are met and accuracy and credibility of reporting is being maintained.
- Supervision of timely and accurate filing of consumption tax and other indirect taxes.
- Tax accounting in Business Plan cycles and quarterly closing.
- Ensure compliance to SOX and other internal controls.
- Lead in cross-sectors tax driven business initiatives locally or regionally.
- Provide internal tax/accounting advisory services and support business operation matters.
- Support the line manager, BUF and other colleagues on local transfer pricing matters.
- Handle the relationships with external tax authorities, statutory auditors, and consultants.
- Standardize and streamline of processes across sectors.
- Collaborate and build positive relationships with BUF, GS and other business partners.
Assignment and Planning of Work
- Much of the work is providing advice and support to the Japanese legal entities, working within their timetables and both internal and external reporting deadlines; the work can be of a non-routine nature with the timing of advisory projects governed by business needs and accordingly it is necessary to be able to cope with these demands alongside other deadlines.
- There must be an ability to stress the importance of deadlines and reporting requirements to peers; therefore, a strength to balance conflicting priorities is essential. There will be extra demands around the quarterly/year-end reporting and tax return deadlines as well as US tax reporting deadlines.
- Sufficient training courses should be attended each year in order to keep up to date with changing legislation and accounting developments.
Other Working Relationships
- Develop close working relationship with all partners (Finance Directors, local and regional finance organizations, Tax Center peers in ASPAC, etc.).
- Collaborate with Global Tax colleagues around the world.
- Cooperate with other business teams across the region and worldwide as and when required, e.g. Supply Chain, Legal, Payroll, HR.
Qualifications / Knowledge / Experience / Skills required
- Tax/accountancy qualification (Certified Public Tax Accountant, Japanese CPA, US CPA is a plus)
- At least 10 years of tax/accounting experience in a multinational corporation and/or in an international accounting firm.
- Ability to deliver results under pressure.
- Analytical and attention to detail.
- Capability to lead a team as a great teammate.
- Excellent communication skills in both Japanese and English
- Ability to convey complex issues to non-finance colleagues and provide practical advice.
Johnson & Johnson K.K. (8235)