Scientist, Oncology In Vivo Pharmacology – Bladder Cancer
Location: Beerse, Belgium
The Scientist will support pre-clinical drug discovery programs for bladder cancer within the Oncology Therapeutic area of Janssen. This individual will join the In Vivo Pharmacology group efforts in the characterization and development of small molecules and biologics, including those that function as immune modulators for the treatment of bladder cancer. This individual may also characterize new cell therapies, such as CAR-T. They will independently drive in vivo oncology studies for bladder cancer research programs, including contributing to and managing studies for multiple research programs across the different stages of pre-clinical drug discovery. Experimental work is an important part of the role and this individual will spend a significant part of their time at the bench, demonstrating rigorous data documentation and analysis skills.
• Independently design, execute, and interpret complex in vivo studies for the validation and characterization of targets or therapeutic agents in the areas of oncology and tumor immunology, including efficacy and pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) biomarker studies in rodents.
• Establish and perform in vivo model development, including the improvement, adaptation, or change to existing research methods, or adaptation from scientific literature.
• Develop research solutions that require extensive analyses and detailed investigation.
• May contribute to ex vivo analysis of tumor or immune cells by flow cytometry, IHC, ELISA, RT-PCR, or Luminex.
• Will perform bioluminescent imaging studies using molecular reporters or disseminated/ metastatic disease models.
• Manage multiple in vivo projects simultaneously, including coordination with project leaders and other functions.
• May manage external research studies.
• Analyze data using appropriate statistical methods and present data in a professional format suitable for external publication.
• Contribute to various projects outside of his/her own, collaborate with partners from all relevant functions, and keep up-to-date in the literature related to their field.
• Act as an expert resource on project teams and demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication.
• Some weekend, evening, and holiday dosing/ animal monitoring required.
• A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences (such as Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Tumor Immunology) is required. Master’s or Ph.D. degree is preferred.
• A minimum of 9 years of relevant pharmaceutical/biotech industry, lab, or academic experience with a Bachelor’s degree; a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience with a Master’s degree; or a PhD degree with 0-3 years of postgraduate experience is required.
• Experience with the cell culture of cancer or immune cells is preferred.
• Experience with relevant bladder cancer rodent models including orthotopic models is required.
• Experience with xenografts, syngeneic models, primary grafts, orthotopic models, transgenics or genetically engineered tumor models is preferred.
• Experience with small molecules and/ or biologics is preferred.
• Experience with immune-modulatory agents, vaccines and/or cell therapies, such as CAR-T, is preferred.
• Experience with tumor implantation techniques and dosing, proper handling of therapeutics, tumor measurement, health monitoring, and data collection and analysis required.
• Experience with bioluminescent imaging, flow cytometry, IHC, ELISA, RT-PCR, Westerns, and/or Luminex is preferred.
• Experience with the adherence to animal welfare and compliance regulations is required.
• Experience in writing technical drafts for patent filings, CTA (EMA) or IND (US-FDA) filings preferred.
• Project management experience is preferred.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must have excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with people, internally and externally.
• Must have strong organizational, data management, and record-keeping skills.
• The ability to manage several projects simultaneously is preferred.
• The ability to effectively present scientific data and concepts to colleagues and teams and present at external meetings is required.
• This position will require occasional weekend, evening, and holiday dosing/animal monitoring.
• Verbal and written fluency in English
• Hiring will be contingent upon completion of laboratory animal research training courses accredited by the Federation of Laboratory Animal Science Associations (FELASA category B or C) or similar foreign certification, either prior to, or within 6 months of hire.
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)