Johnson & Johnson Careers
JJVC INTERN/CO-OP (UNDERGRADUATE)
Requisition ID: 1997180913
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, is a worldwide company with operations in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Europe/Middle East/Africa regions. Research, innovation and new-product development are the focus of our organization. Since we introduced soft disposable contact lenses in 1988, no other manufacturer has matched the aggressive expansion of our wide-ranging ACUVUE® family of products. Our associates around the world are committed to expanding the ACUVUE® brand, and fortifying our position as the worldwide leader in the contact lens industry.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting Sophomores, Juniors and rising Seniors for either co-op’s and internships in Research & Development (R&D) located in Jacksonville, Florida.
Academic majors for Co-op and Internship opportunities in R&D are:
- Chemistry: Materials/Polymer Science
- Engineering: Chemical, Mechanical, Plastics, Biomedical and Optical Engineering
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- R&D Chemical/Plastics/Bio-Medical Engineering - Opportunity to work on a variety of engineering assignments utilizing a wide-range of engineering principles. Assist with planning development and design of materials, equipment, and/or processes. Review progress and evaluate results of multiple projects across various disciplines. Partner with teams of engineers and technicians as necessary to achieve project completion. Assist with facilitating and conducting engineering assignments. Advocate for continuous improvement of technology and processes.
- R&D Mechanical Engineering - Assist Senior Engineers in the planning, development and design of processes and equipment for the manufacture of contact lenses. Document all projects in the form of a technical report. SolidWorks experience is preferred.
- R&D Optical Engineering- Collaborate on short-term Research and Development projects in the areas of Opto-Mechanical System Design and Vision Science. The projects require both laboratory and computer research as well as hands-on practical application. Interface with third party suppliers and an interdisciplinary technical team under the direction of a Sr. Mechanical Engineer.
R&D Chemistry/Materials/Polymer Science
- Investigate the interaction of various chemical components and their impact on finished medical devices. Project work may include formulations, photo-initiated polymerization, device processing of finished product, raw material analysis, and characterization of the finished device. Projects may involve a combination of chemical handling, blending, and device characterization. Chemistry or Material Science student is preferred. Completion of Organic Chemistry, Polymer Science, and/or Chemistry courses are preferred.
- Coordinate and assist with project development of clinical protocols and clinical research studies. Interpret and summarize clinical study data in technical reports.
R&D Lens Prototyping
- Perform engineering functions supporting current and future product development projects. Generate and/or analyze data to translate/correlate lens optical and geometrical attributes to critical process parameters in lens prototyping. Create and test hypotheses based on sound engineering/scientific principles to understand and explain phenomena observed during lens prototyping and characterization. Utilize statistical analysis to design experiments (DOE) and analyze/visualize engineering data. Write SOPs/technical reports to document product and process development. Collaborate with other R&D functions to troubleshoot process/equipment in support of product development. Act as an advocate for continuous improvement of process, technology, software and hardware based on collection and translation of historical engineering knowledge to new applications/projects. Take a leading position in coordinating new as well as continuous improvement initiatives within the lens prototyping department.
A successful candidate will be able to do the following:
- Students must be able to provide their own transportation to this location and to/from work every day.
- A stipend will be offered to students that meet the commuting distance eligibility requirements.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g. H1-B status) now or in the future.
- Demonstrate strong leadership and a clear identifiable work ethos within the team.
- Adheres to safety environmental policies and procedures and supports department objectives.
- Develops and maintains Behavioral Standards in line with company standards and policy.
- Enrollment (not necessarily taking classes) in an accredited college/university during the Co-op/Internship is required.
- Actively pursuing at least, a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Materials Science, Polymer Science/Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering /Injection Molding, Biomedical Engineering, Optic Engineering, Optometry, or related academic major is required.
- Availability to work full-time (40 hours/week) during the Co-op/Internship is required.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 3.0 is preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and/or participation in campus/community service activities is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson Vision Care, Inc. (6094)