The Vice President, Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform will build and lead a team dedicated to Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform development for Ophthalmological, Neurosciences and Infectious Disease, and for delivering fit-for-purpose, differentiated lead molecules, packed in appropriate vector to achieve desired expression levels in appropriate tissues or organs, to the Janssen development pipeline. He/she will be responsible for developing technologies in Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform field to keep Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) at cutting edge of the field. He/she will report to the Global Head of Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO).
He/She will be responsible for establishing the Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform group at the San Francisco site with initial headcount of 35 people. The Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform group will focus on optimizing Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV) capsid, transgene(s) and gene regulatory elements needed to get desired tissue specific delivery and expression, developing relevant tissue cultures to understand expression pattern and infectivity for designed AAVs, and establishing specific organoid cultures to develop understanding of infection rate and expression level/analysis of optimized vectors.
The Gene Therapy and Gene Delivery Platform group will partner with Biologics Discovery group when needed to obtain therapeutic molecules for gene delivery. Additionally, this team will work in in collaboration with Exploratory Biology groups with in Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO) and with various discovery groups in Retinal Neurosciences and Infectious Diseases and will also be responsible for generating tools to support exploratory biology and target discovery/validation activities. The candidate will work closely with other groups in JBIO and Biologics Development groups in a highly integrated way to ensure successful progression of projects in proof of concept studies in humans.
The successful candidate will build an early discovery pipeline and deliver Gene therapy/Gene Delivery solutions to development pipeline in retinal and other focused therapeutic areas Develop a competitive strategy and maintain state of the art expertise and capabilities in the field of Gene Therapy/Gene Delivery.
Function as a key member of the Biotherapeutics Senior Leadership Team, setting strategy and ensuring cross-functional coordination in elevating all biotechnology efforts.
- Cultivate partnerships with discovery leaders of Disease Area Strongholds (DAS) and Exploratory Biology group in JBIO to enable effective use of biologics in all relevant indications, as well as in medical devices and diagnostics. Proactively partner with DAS leaders to drive alignment on critical program decisions.
- Provide expertise in discovery of new therapeutics suitable for gene therapy/gene delivery.
- Build collaborative relationships with internal/external partners to drive innovation and value creation.
- Work closely with Discovery, Biophysics and Development groups within JBIO in an integrated way to ensure successful progression of projects in first in human and in proof of concept studies.
- Generate essential reagents and tools to enable preclinical and clinical development activities
- Build transparency in timeline and resource management. Develop budgets and projected expenditures for various groups.
Advanced degree (PhD or MD or equivalent) is required.
Minimum of 10 year of relevant experience with 5 years of management experience is required.
This Executive position requires a strong people leader with a documented history of excellence in science.To be successful, the candidate will possess in-depth knowledge and technical expertise in Gene Therapy/Gene Delivery, protein therapeutics, discovery and development or related fields.
They will need and understanding of biologics discovery is essential and thus should be evidenced by previous direct experience in the field, from target concept to preclinical development.
Exceptional organizational and planning abilities to effectively direct complex development programs with shifting and sometimes conflicting, priorities across multiple therapeutic areas.
Innovator / Relationship Builder / Influencer / Collaborator / Thought Leader.
- Deliver results by inspiring, leading and persuading others across a global matrix, within and outside of J&J, without direct authority or formalized structure.
- Sought after as an expert and thought leader in Gene Therapy/Gene Delivery with the ability to motivate and influence.
- Understanding of global markets and unmet needs to increase the value of the portfolio.
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a drive for creating a compelling vision of the future and inspire people to achieve it.
- Attract exceptional and diverse scientific talent into the organization.
- Successfully develop a pipeline of diverse talent.
- Aid in the discovery or advancement of biotechnology drugs through the pipeline.
- Create a culture of accountability and empowering others.
- Intellectually curious, articulate and solutions focused.
United States-California-South San Francisco-
Janssen Research & Development, LLC (6084)