Responsible for managing a sales staff in the achievement of Global Surgery sales to new and established hospital accounts to achieve sales objectives and greater market penetration. Ensures consistent, sustainable and profitable growth in sales revenues through positive planning, deployment and management of sales personnel. Interact and collaborate with all relevant internal and external (focus on surgeon/KOL’s) stakeholders to (pro-) actively create an environment where sales results will be achieved. Identifies objectives, strategies and action plans to improve short- and long-term sales and earnings.
Main areas of responsibility / expected results/objectives of the role
- Manages the development and servicing of hospital accounts to achieve business sales.
- Reports sales results against forecasts to senior management as well as any adjustments made to business plans to ensure objectives are met.
- Establishes incentive plan parameters and sales goals.
- Recommends ad hoc plans and contests.
- Develops and monitors departmental budget.
- Reviews and approves quota and account assignment.
- Monitors progress and verifies corrective action has been initiated when necessary.
- Participates in the preparation of sales plans and campaigns, business plans and product development plans.
- Resolves difficult problems and customer complaints.
- Collaborates with the Business Unit Manager in establishing and recommending the most realistic sales strategy and goals for the Business Unit.
- Create strong and sustainable relationship with GS customers/KOL’s and spent sufficient time with the sales teams in the field.
- Leader in cultural change; from product to solutions selling.
- Establishes and manages effective programs to compensate, coach, appraise and train sales reps in order to create a high performing team.
main leadership commitments involved in the role
- Invest in understanding the needs the team’s internal and external partners
- Review & prioritize key stakeholders; determine stakeholder issues & define how to engage them most effectively
- Evaluate the team’s collaboration capability & identify ways to enhance it
- Leverage CONNECT activities to shape the team’s strategic initiatives.
- Identify & focus the team on product or market transitions; define strategies to prepare for shifts in the business
- Openly discuss & support risk-taking in the team; frequently emphasize the support for pursuing calculated risks aligned with Compliance Guidelines and J&J Policy of Business Conduct.
- Rate the capability on the four imperatives and their relative importance to the sales manager role; develop the skills accordingly.
- Assign projects & tasks to reflect the development goals/career aspirations of the team.
- Build the learning agility of the team by emphasizing the importance of learing from experience and mistakes.
- Develop a culture of accountability by identifying areas where the leader and team could be more effective.
- Share the impact of the team’s results on patients, customers or markets
- Create cross-functional partnerships or connections to rapidly address challenges.
Business Environment and Context
- From product to solutions selling
- Tender driven
- New and different decision makers and influencers
- Added value drives the decision making
- Focus on customer facing
- Previous strategic marketing and (sales) leadership experience
- Proven ability to manage complexity & thrives in uncertain/ambiguous circumstances
- Ability to connect and effectively collaborate across a diverse group of business stakeholders in a highly matrixed environment
- Strong passion and track record for innovation & will to make things happen & deliver
- Strong communication skills & influencing skills
- Driven by results performance & excellence in the job
- Demonstrated business success in delivering growth and gaining share
- Strongly involved in strategic and tactical work on a daily basis requiring being able to quickly zoom in and out
- Ability to build respect and trust with customers, employees and internal stakeholders
- Integrity and Credo-based leadership
- Self- awareness and adaptability
- Ability to lead in change
- MBA or equivalent
- Knowledge of the current market healthcare landscape or environment where solution selling is the key driver
- Experience working for a mid-size or multinational company
Johnson & Johnson Medical NV (7546)