Senior Principal Scientist, Functional Genomics
Janssen Research & Development, a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Senior Principal Scientist, Functional Genomics, for our site in Beerse, Belgium.
The successful candidate will be part of the Computational Sciences group in the Discovery Sciences organization within Janssen Parma R&D. You will manage, develop and implement state of the art approaches to identify and validate new targets for intervention for all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas, Oncology, Immunology, Infectious Diseases, Neuroscience, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases. You will work in an exciting, interdisciplinary environment, overlapping the different stages of the discovery pipeline, by interacting with multiple internal and external groups.
The position has a strong focus on project and team leadership. The successful candidate will take responsibility for personnel management, including but not limited to performance appraisals and talent development plans. He/she will help recruit and retain highly qualified staff, develop capabilities of staff, and ensure that staff is competent, trained, and qualified for assigned work and ensure that staff are effectively utilized, rewarded, and motivated. He/she will effectively communicate data and results to our stakeholders within and outside of J&J and work effectively with colleagues in across J&J sectors. The scientific supervision, mentoring and management of scientists will be part of daily activities. He/she will be responsible achieving pipeline objectives and assigns appropriate resources within timeline and budgetary constraints.
The candidate will have a strong background in design and execution of cellular experiments and screens using RNAi, CRISPR, and other functional genomics tools for target identification, MOA characterization, and mechanisms of resistance and/or sensitivity to small and large molecules. The candidate will also have experience with complex cellular model systems like primary cell cultures and stem cell-derived systems (especially induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and 3D spheroid/organoid)
In this exciting role, you will:
•Own the design and implementation of functional genomic strategies for target identification, MOA characterization, and mechanisms of resistance and/or sensitivity to internal drug development programs.
•Provide scientific and people leadership to develop creative/innovative cell-based assays to discover new targets and innovative application engineered cells to enhance internal capabilities.
•Provide mentoring and career development leadership to direct reports and to others within the department as appropriate.
•Contribute to the development and execution of creative directions for the department.
•Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
•Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings.
•Lead external collaborations.
•Publish research in high-quality journals.
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent in biological, pharmacological, or chemical sciences is required
- A minimum of 10 years of post-degree experience in a biotech/ pharmaceutical setting, or 12 years in a high-quality academic environment is required
- Experience with execution and analysis of arrayed and pooled genome-scale functional genomics screens, in vitro or in vivo, is required
- Experience with complex cellular model systems like primary cell cultures and stem cell-derived systems (iPSCs and organoids) is required
- Strong management/leadership skills and demonstrated ability to lead a group of scientists to deliver on objectives in defined timelines is required.
- Independent, self-motivated and innovative and the ability to excel in a goal-oriented, multifaceted and fast-paced environment is required.
- Outstanding communication, organizational and leadership skills, with a successful track record of collaborating with cross-functional scientific teams is required.
- Experience in leading external collaborations in industry or academia is required.
- Drug discovery experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical environment is preferred
- Excellent team spirit and interpersonal skills
Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (7555)